Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to try these. Any recommendation on sax shops in Europe (preferably, in the European Union) that carry them? Thanks!

·
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
642 Posts
There's a shop in Munich that sells them via amazon. I like the cut of these reeds and their long lasting quality, I still play the first one out of the box and it's not worn out yet and sounds great.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
There's a shop in Munich that sells them via amazon. I like the cut of these reeds and their long lasting quality, I still play the first one out of the box and it's not worn out yet and sounds great.
I'm interested in ordering and testing. Which type of reed do you play? How do they compare in sound and strenghts to other reeds ...It would be great if you could provide us with some informations!

Thank's a lot!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'm interested in ordering and testing. Which type of reed do you play? How do they compare in sound and strenghts to other reeds ...It would be great if you could provide us with some informations!

Thank's a lot!
In comparison to the RJS 3.5 filed reeds I came from, the Lupifaro Jazz 3 strength I ordered is a bit easier when it comes to response. They sound not as dark as the RJS for me but still dark and lush. The cut is an american type of cut (longer and flexible tip like Rico reds or LaVoz) and seems to be nicely balanced for my taste: They don't tend to sound stiff caused by the cut like most Vandorens on tenor tend to do. And they keep their original sound quality much longer. I've also used Rico reds which I like very much soundwise but these tend to get softer after a while and lose some of their robust sound characteristics. This has not happend to my Lupifaros yet.

Lupifaros are a bit harder in strength than other brands, I'd recommend to go down half a strength like I did.

·
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Have you ever tried them against Rigotti Golds? Rigottis are my reed of choice, but I am always searching for something that plays as well but is a little darker. I haven't found anything better yet. I found WoodStone, which is as good as Rigotti, but significantly more expensive. And Lupifaros are also much more expensive, as I have found in my internet searches.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thanks! Have you ever tried them against Rigotti Golds? Rigottis are my reed of choice, but I am always searching for something that plays as well but is a little darker. I haven't found anything better yet. I found WoodStone, which is as good as Rigotti, but significantly more expensive. And Lupifaros are also much more expensive, as I have found in my internet searches.
Yes, Rigotti and Lupifaro are the same cane (it says so on the Lupifaro box). Rigotti Jazz cut: I liked the quality of these as well and used them for a couple of years but eventually changed because they played to bright for my taste. There's another Rigotti cut around in Europe (the boxes look the same, but they lack the additional "jazz" in the name). These were a little darker for me but also worse in response and a bit stiff for me. Lupifaro has the same cane quality (or even better) and plays darker for me. Some bite in the sound as well (high frequencies) but not that much, there's always a dark core in it, also in the higher register.

·
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, Rigotti and Lupifaro are the same cane (it says so on the Lupifaro box). Rigotti Jazz cut: I liked the quality of these as well and used them for a couple of years but eventually changed because they played to bright for my taste. There's another Rigotti cut around in Europe (the boxes look the same, but they lack the additional "jazz" in the name). These were a little darker for me but also worse in response and a bit stiff for me. Lupifaro has the same cane quality (or even better) and plays darker for me. Some bite in the sound as well (high frequencies) but not that much, there's always a dark core in it, also in the higher register.
Thank you for the reply. I had the same experience with the "classical" Rigotti cut, which sounded stuffier and felt harder that their Jazz model. What you are saying about the Lupifaros sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. If they perform that way for me, I won't mind paying more. I have now ordered two boxes to testvthem, one in a 2.5 and the other in a 3 strength, as I've read that they are somewhat harder than other brands. On the Rigottis Jazz I usually play 3 Medium or 3 Strong on a 0.108'' mouthpiece.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
My Lupifaro tenors are a little darker and slightly softer than my Riggoti Golds, but close to the same strength. I like them both, depending on the music and mood.

·
Registered
773 Posts
One of the problems that I find in trying to match strengths between the Rigotti Gold and the Lupifaro reeds, is that the Rigotti has 3 strengths within each size (Light, Med. and Strong), however the Lupifaro is only 2 within each size (2, 2.5,3, etc.).

·
Registered
642 Posts
One of the problems that I find in trying to match strengths between the Rigotti Gold and the Lupifaro reeds, is that the Rigotti has 3 strengths within each size (Light, Med. and Strong), however the Lupifaro is only 2 within each size (2, 2.5,3, etc.).
As for me I'd say that the cut is designed that flexible that 3 strengths are not really necessary or helpful within each size. Lupifaros speak easier for me than other brands but at the same time more mass is involved in the vibration. Hard to descibe but it feels like there is more tolerance within small deviations in the same strength for the player. Could be that one reed is a bit thicker/thinner than another one in the same size. This doesn't matter though, both reeds speak easily and respond well. I guess that's for the design of the cut.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts