Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a sax come my way and cant find out any history to it.On the bell it says made at Lugano factory italy and also john grey london,,the serial number is
2116.I know this is an old sax and would love to find out more about it.It also has a very unusual octave mechenism,hope someone can help
Saxycol

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,780 Posts
I'd like to see some good pictures of the horn, including some Hi-res of the logo.

I rather doubt that there ever was a saxophone factory in Lugano (Switzerland since 1513 ) , probably the Lugano address was the retailing shop, but few miles to the south west is Quarna sotto, which the equivalent of Elkhart in Italy. Quarna sotto had 3 saxophone factories (Alfonso Rampone, Rampone & Cazzani and Grassi ......this last one only from 1960) , Milan had another one as well, Orsi and Verona had one too, Desidera.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
I have seen a C-Mel on ebay with that logo, characteristic European build from bell brace and the feet on the cup guards.

saxycol - by unusual octave mechanism, do you mean two keys - separate for body and neck mechs ?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Do you have any pictures you could post?
Mostly to satisfy our curiosity, but you might get some additional comments based on the sax features.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have any pictures you could post?
Mostly to satisfy our curiosity, but you might get some additional comments based on the sax features.

Couldn't get a clear close up of serial number but it is 2116 and also note
It does not have pearl inlaid keys
Hope these pictures help
saxycol

·
38,780 Posts
now I see them!:mrgreen:

·
38,780 Posts
ok, this is getting very interesting. John Grey and sons London....... Lugano factory...... . These saxophones occasionally come up for sale , found several references on line, but nobody knows much about them.

I have been researching the possibility that there was indeed a Swiss saxophone maker in Lugano and I couldn't find anything in English or Italian.

If I were you I would send this pictures to claudio Zolla at Rampone & Cazzani and ask if they made this or if they know who made it. This is certainly a very old and interesting instrument .

It has some similarities (but also lots of differences with one of the old Rampone published here http://bassic-sax.ca/blog/?tag=rampone-cazzani)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just been told today that it was made by hawks and son,they couldnt tell me why it said Lugano italy factory and was probably pre 1920.

does anyone know any different.

·
2,057 Posts
Could just be a simple matter that either Hawkes or Grey had Lugano connections and could legitimately put that on the sax to give it a bit of 'bling appeal', continental panache - just like Chinese factories have hinted at French / German engineering involvement ?

You'll possibly never ever confirm it, I've been hunting around fruitlessly...

·
38,780 Posts
could very well be, window dressing in advertising is nothing new

·
2,057 Posts
Ah, Rattlesnake Oil ! Cures all ills, including bad intonation on C Melody saxophones...:bluewink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts