Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given an old, beat up Saxophone. The brand is Ludwig, as in Ludwig Drums, I believe. It's a Ludwig Supreme.

I'm thinking of having it repaired. When I mentioned the brand on the phone with the music store, they had never heard of it. The conversation was something like "Ludwig? I thought Ludwig only made drums. I've heard of them making pedals, but definitely not a Saxophone. I'm pretty sure they don't make them anymore."

That isn't to say they weren't willing to fix it, I'm just curious about it's age, it's original quality, and it's original worth. I'd like to know whether it's worth fixing to begin with, really. I've tried looking up its serial number, but it seems to be a brand specific thing. And guess what? "Ludwig" brand isn't on ANY lists.
PLEASE help if you can! Will provide serial number (I don't think anyone will be able to make it out after a few more years!)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,620 Posts
It could be an odd stencil made by someone else - there are a lot of those. If you post pictures, someone on here may be able to identify who made it, as there are lots of folks on here with expertise on various older saxophone. If it is more clearly identified as a particular stencil horn, then it will be easier to figure out if it is worth fixing up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,508 Posts
Starscream: Welcome to SOTW. And, +1 to artstove's post.

If you can't post photos, at least describe the instrument, e.g., position of bell pads, presence of F#3, etc. Many "old" saxophones aren't that old. I have a soprano that looks exactly like a MKVI, but only has the name KUSTOM printed on it. I've never identified it.

I once owned a soprano labeled DORADO 600 which I knew to be made by Yanagisawa, and the importing company was Gretsch, a drum maker (at least as far as I know). Lots of mysteries out there. DAVE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts