Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in an area woodcraft store looking around and found this item meant for sharpening tools. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004340/8631/Diamond-Sharpening-Card-Coarse.aspx I bought one to try.

It comes in a number of grits, appears to be every bit as flat as my traditional tone hole file and is large enough to cover the large tone holes on an Alto sax. It is smooth on one side and has grit on the other.

It looks to be a useable substitute for the occasional repairer who cannot justify purchasing more expensive tools. I am not suggesting it is better than the tone hole finishing systems meant specificly for this purpose, only an inexpesive substitute that could help the novice do a better repair. Could also be a worthy candidate for an Emergency repair kit item.

Another thought I had was to cut it into smaller pieces to make my own piccolo tone hole tools. I posted a question about this on the Other WW repair section and recieved limited response to piccolo tone hole finishing.

Matt

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,702 Posts
Im wondering how hard matt, they will be to cut into a desirable shape without warping them, would be really good if they were easy to shape

I could imagine if you could clamp them between two flat surfaces and spin them on a lathe you could possibly achieve the shape needed.

Side note, do you know if the metal is impregnated or is it a lot like the JL Smith units which have a stick on diamond grit disk. If its stick on, then I for one will be ordering

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't tried yet. I figured I would cut it from the back side of the card where there is no grit. Use a small abrasive saw under water to keep it cool. Was hoping to be able to rough cut it and drill it from the non-diamond side then try to mount it to mandrel in the lathe and turn it to size for piccolo. Too many things to repair that are making me money instead of costing me money to try right now :) As it stands I think it would make a pretty good sax tone hole finisher.

I'll let you know what I find.

Matt

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,702 Posts
Matt with your piccolo tone hole tools, have you tried stick on sandpaper, I get sticky sandpaper in rolls of 100ft at a time of various grades for levelling fretboards. When I damage the diamond tone hole sets, I use sticky sandpaper in the interim, it works exceptionally well.

·
Registered
271 Posts
For the last several years I've been using a set of tone hole tools I made by turning pieces of derlin down to the diameters I needed, facing one end so it's perfectly flat, and then glueing discs of wet/dry sandpaper to the that end. I found that I had to weight the butt end of the smaller diameter "sticks" with brass to give them a little heft. I keep 4 different grits in stock, the sandpaper cuts easily with scissors and is inexpensive. I do it "wet" so the sandpaper doesn't keep getting fouled up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I made some tone hole levelers using various size metal washers, stick-on sand paper, plastic washers and hex head bolts. I worked the washers with a hammer until they were flat and then applied the sandpaper. The plastic washer serves as a guide and holds the hex bolt on (similar to the real system). I haven't tried them out yet but I'll let you know how they work.

I'll try to post some photos later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts