Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im a high school bari player and i need some help.
I play a 1949 buescher aristocrat big b model bari sax.

I just got a new otto link hard rubber mouthpiece with a 6* facing. Approximately .105 tip opening. I really love the sound im getting especially on the higher notes! It really sings. I am working on a ballad right now and every time when i am soloing and trying to play lower notes softer they buzz and do not stay constant. (low g, f, e, d, c, C#, B, Bb) They only come out solid and full when i play loud. Could this be that the bigger tip opening is too big for me? I jumped from a runyon model 88 4 facing to a 6* on the link. I also play on rico unfiled jazz selects 3 medium. Do i need a harder reed? Could it just be a adjustment that needs to be made on the sax? All help would be appreciated! :D I have just picked out my college audition pieces and i want my sax in top shape.

Btw... i still have plenty of time to return the mouthpiece and exchange it for a new one. so if its the mouthpiece than i can certainly get a smaller facing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
If you love it but it's hard to play down low, use softer reeds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
update.. i tried playing on it with my runyon and the buzzing is hardily there but the low d, c#, b, and Bb all buzzing just not as great...could it be the sax and the newer mouthpiece is showing more of the problem? I'm very unsure

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Bari is going to sound a little more reedy than tenor or alto down low that's just the nature of the beast. A softer reed is unlikely to help this. A harder reed plus more air and embouchure support will take some of the buzz out but to totally get rid of it (or minimize it greatly) you'd have to go back to a smaller tipped classical style piece.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was able to find a few blue box rico 3s hanging around and it surprisingly sounded much, much better with the link. the runyon piece with the the softer reed sounded near perfect. thanks for all the help! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts