Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've actually had the same problem with my Morgan 4L, but not my 3C. One thing I noticed is that the 4L is noticeably longer than my 3C (maybe 1/4" longer), with the 4L having a serial number of 15055 and the 3C having a serial number of 25233. I'm not sure if this is a function of the different models, different ages, or both model and age. Oddly enough, I noticed a similar burble using a Penzel Mueller, which I hadn't expected considering that it's shorter and seems to have a larger chamber than either Morgan. My (highly uneducated) guess is that it's dependent upon the ratio of length to chamber volume for the burble, while intonation is dependent upon each individually depending upon what region of the octave is being discussed (for example, mouthpiece length relating to palm keys intonation, and chamber size relating to bell keys intonation).

·
Registered
268 Posts
My mouthpiece is pretty snug with the neck cork, and combined with the very short shanked 3C, I haven't had any trouble with burbling. I was curious about the burbling though and noticed that the 4L I had was a little bit loose with the cork, which might explain the burbling with that piece. Since I pretty much use only the 3C and the whole setup is working fantastically, I don't think I'll mess around with it, but it does add another case of anecdotal evidence for a loose neck cork causing low note burbling.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts