Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on a project my director gave me, he gave me a bunch of pads and a clarinet that needed repaired. I have all the pads in, I oiled it (it was wooden), and I replaced a few corks. Everything works fine (after using a different mouthpiece, as the mouthpiece was wooden and fifty years old, and wouldn't play anything), except the keys for C#, C, B, and Eb in the upper register. They work fine in the low register, but once I pop up to the next register, those notes, and those notes only, don't work. What could be the problem? Note: I did have to take all of the keys off and put them back on, if it could stem from that.

·
Registered
601 Posts
You've got leaks. Clarinets are more sensitive to leaks in the upper register than the lower. It's likely the low notes don't sound that great, either, but at least they'll speak.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
It's easy enough to do a quick test for leaks. Take each joint in turn, position your fingers so that all the pads are closed (don't press hard, use a light touch), put the joint up to your lips and seal off the other end with the palm of your left hand - then gently blow down the joint. If you have a good seal you'll feel the air pressure 'bounce' right back at you - if you have a leak you won't be able to maintain a constant pressure.
That's your starting point - if you can't find any leaks but can feel air escaping, you'll have to use a feeler on each pad.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/HandyHints/LeakyPads.htm

Regards,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts