Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Low End Resistance - Fixed

I have switched from the SX90 to the CJS tenor permanently (meaning I no longer own the JK) due to my hobbit like finger's and especially due to problems with the left hand pinkey. I tried and tried, hoped it would improve, but, confirmed by my instructor, it is just physically not possible for me to reliably operate LH pinkey keys on the JK.
For me the keywork is a great relief on this B&S stencil, as it is nice and compact.
However, I do miss the soft low end of the JK. The bow and bell keys are seem to be a trade off between tone, intonation and air support.
I do realise this is a different design, but are there means to make the bell keys easier to blow with good intonation? Pushing the mpc further on the neck helps, but the pitch gets too sharp. Used Hite, Morgan M and Meyer HR pieces with similar results.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
take in more mouthpiece , drop the tongue and open the throat. experiment with this and you will find your tone improves overall as you get used to it. on palm key notes and above you may have to raise the tongue and close down the throat to speed up the air.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
saxxsymbol said:
take in more mouthpiece , drop the tongue and open the throat. experiment with this and you will find your tone improves overall as you get used to it. on palm key notes and above you may have to raise the tongue and close down the throat to speed up the air.
That works. So I guess it lets more of the reed vibrate? I do have an overbite that I need to compensate for as well. That reduces the volume of mouth/throat cavity and makes for a pinched sound. The sound is different taking in more mpc and opening the throat, more volume, harsher tone, but it also helps the pitch come down to the right place after pushing the mpc in a bit. The bell keys are easy now. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
your tone will improve as you get used to the mouthpiece being in farther. give it some time. it will pay off with a fat powerful tone.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah... It is getting better each time I practice. This makes for a different embouchure and it will take time to get stronger.
I love what the Morgan 6C does on the CJS tenor. It just blows through and it is fat throughout the entire range.

Thanks all for the help!!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Ruediger Kramer said:
well, my Guardala has that resistance too (low end and the highest tones) - my Medusas not at all, they can be blown very easy.
maybe i have to consult a tech...

(but i don´t know exactly, the last weeks i had a lot of bad reeds... - added: today i got a better reed and less resistance)

:)
Interesting. I've never had any resistance issues in the lower register (or any register) on my Guardala. Doesn't seem to be dependent on the mpc either.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
False alarm, reeds, oh, well...

I have been practicing using Fibracells and just for some change I switched back to Alexander Superials (it has been more difficult to get these lately).
Trying several Alexanders 2.5s the low end resistance disappears even when using a less than optimal embouchure.
The Fibracells on the other hand make the low end difficult, especially using the med soft grade. It must be just the way they are shaped or a funny batch.
I AM practicing taking in more of the mouthpiece though because the tone is better that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts