Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a friend of mine's Bb clarinet, and it has a low Eb key, just like on a bass! It's an older Selmer. I think he said he had it added.

Has anyone else seen something like that before?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,913 Posts
Sure, any standard FULL Boehm system clarinet should have a low Eb.

I have a Penzel-Mueller with a low Eb. And LH Ab/Eb...and RH C# key...and LH third ring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The full boehm Selmers have the features decribed by Merlin above.
It sounds strange that he added this key afterwards due to that the lower joint of the full boehms are longer. The bell have also sligtly larger diameter in the upper end.
I have a Centered Tone Q-series full boehm, and the sound is marvellous.
The comparisons are with my R-series standard boehm Centered Tone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
I wonder if it's even possible to add a low Eb to a standard Boehm. I have never heard of this. Seems like you would need a whole new lower joint.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,960 Posts
I have a set of Full Boehm Selmer clarinets from the late 1930's.
The Bb has been played so much that the tone hole chimneys are slightly cupped. The A on the other hand is nearly pristine. :)

·
19,960 Posts
I don't know if they're 'significantly' heavier, but there is a noticeable difference in heft.
They are a whole lot of fun to play seeing that they have quite a few extra alternate fingerings to explore and employ. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't know if they're 'significantly' heavier, but there is a noticeable difference in heft.
They are a whole lot of fun to play seeing that they have quite a few extra alternate fingerings to explore and employ. :)
You bet. I think having the choice to playing fork Bb / Eb as xox/ooo is the most useful of them, but there's not a key on a full boehm that I haven't made good use of. I think it's faintly ridiculous that clarinet purists are suspicious of full boehms. They forget that purists are generally ridiculous themselves.

·
19,960 Posts
I don't know if I would classify myself as a 'clarinet purist' but I'm definitely old school classically trained.
I appreciate any and every additional key that will help the clarinetist perform to the best of their abilities. :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sure, any standard FULL Boehm system clarinet should have a low Eb.

I have a Penzel-Mueller with a low Eb. And LH Ab/Eb...and RH C# key...and LH third ring.
+1 though technically it doesn't have to be full Boehm.. some horns with low Eb do not have 3rd ring and additional LH keys.

Low Eb seems to be more popular with Italian makers, as they prefer to use full Boehms to play A-clarinet parts transposing on a fly :shrug:

Depending on your point of view it could be either useless or next best thing to swiss cheese. Extra length and keys do make horn heavier and more unbalanced.

It does improve your resale value, full Boehm clarinets are rare and go for much more.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I corked an old bell to push inside a customer's bell, to make a double bell. I made it seal and go in just far enough to turn low E into Eb for a particular section of orchestral music so she did not have to change from her A clarinet to a clarinet d'amour. From memory, I think I drilled a hole in the old bell as well, for tone adjustment. I've forgotten the details - about 20 years ago.

(Likewise, I added piece of plastic hose to my flute when I needed a low B. It meant I could not play low C, and low C# was flat but oK to lip up to pitch.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.