Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My low Eb on the alto is flat. I'm not sure why. It's flatter than the notes surrounding (E or D). Any ideas on where I can start addressing this?

Yamaha YAS-62 "purple". Meyer 5M. Vandoren Java Red 2.5.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
My low Eb on the alto is flat.
How flat?

It's flatter than the notes surrounding (E or D). Any ideas on where I can start addressing this?
Practice.

Long notes that involve tone and pitch control. Or rather, tone and pitch exercises (that will involve tone and pitch control)

You also have to realise that the saxophone is not like a keyboard that has tuning that will absolutely register 0 cents on a tuner (calibrated to equal temperament) It's much better to use your ears and the context of the music than to look a a tuner and think that there is a problem because the needle isn't exactly centred.

Work with octaves and overtones.

OR

It could be a key height issue. If you can check that yourself then do it, if not speak to a teacher or tech.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,160 Posts
likely the low Eb key cup doesn't open far enough. Should be an easy adjustment on that horn since the felt is screwed in. Unscrew it a few turns and check that. May also be the C cup but the D would be stuffy or flat if it was the C

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Yamaha's recommended key opening on that model for the low Eb key is 8 mm. For low C it is 10 mm. The Eb opening has a greater effect on the pitch than the C opening which has a smaller effect. The opening of the low C mostly affects the pitch of the note D. I would start there to look for a cause and/or solution. For both keys it is an easy adjustment to unscrew the felt adjusting screw. A butter knife or dime usually works to do this unless the screw is really hard to turn.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
About -30.0 cents on my tuning app. My E and D is perfectly in tune.
Yes, that's a bit too much to put down to embouchure/ears/temperaments. So as mentioned get a teacher or other expert player to confirm our diagnosis and show you how to fix it yourself, or failing that a good technician to do it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
One possibility I've run into:

WHERE is your Eb cup on your horn? On my alto it's facing towards the back, and if I'm holding the horn too close to my body the note will go flat. If I lift the horn away more the note comes back into tune.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
One possibility I've run into:

WHERE is your Eb cup on your horn? On my alto it's facing towards the back, and if I'm holding the horn too close to my body the note will go flat. If I lift the horn away more the note comes back into tune.
Great observation. In fact, Eugene Rousseau mentions the same issue while discussing the play testing of new Yamaha prototypes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
The cage could be bent, too. If so just straighten it with pliers and see if that fixes it.
Just screw the bumper and felt a few turns anti-clockwise. Many Yamaha's have the action set too low --I know all about the company's recomendations - each horn needs individual attention in this respect.

·
Banned
652 Posts
My low Eb on the alto is flat. I'm not sure why. It's flatter than the notes surrounding (E or D). Any ideas on where I can start addressing this?

Yamaha YAS-62 "purple". Meyer 5M. Vandoren Java Red 2.5.
Take it to your tech and tell them the problem. Could be a simple key height issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts