Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've checked my horn (Yamaha 1980s YTS 52 tenor) with a leak light, and it looks good. But Low E is hard to produce, and sounds airy. D, C and lower are good. And the notes above are good. It just seems to be low E. Any suggestions? I don't know what else to do.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
Check harder. Use light pressure when you press the keys. Also check from top to bottom. A leak further up the stack can make some notes more difficult to play than others. You likely have leaks in your YTS52 and are just compensating on the others to hit them and are just not noticing it. E may be the note you just can't compensate enough on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,404 Posts
Low E is also very picky about key heights. I often have to set the 'low d' pad more open than F and E. You may have to open that bottom pad on the bottom stack.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
It is possible that F and E do not connect well to the F# key, but the D key does. Or the D key offers just enough additional force to close F# (hence also G# well.)

A leak under F# will not affect F# or F too much, but will certainly affect E.

Check F# with the leak light again. But is your leak light bright enough and localised enough, and the room dark enough, for reliable diagnosis? Christmas lights really do not cut the mustard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts