Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been recently working on projection and long tones to good effect. When I play low C, well supported with a column of air, the tone wobbles up and down wildly of its own accord. This only happens with low C. B and B flat sound great. I have just had my tenor overhauled. Is at a leak or is it some sort of resonance taking over my sax (which is what it feels like). All other notes are fine. I am using an Otto Link Tone Edge 6* and a Rovner ligature. Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mickyd said:
This only happens with low C. B and B flat sound great.
is there anything about the configuration of the RH pinky keys on your horn that might cause the Eb to open ever so slightly when you finger the low c?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just yesterday I had a student with a similar problem. It turned out that one of the springs was so loose on the saxophone that when he would blow air for the low note, the key would actually bounce open because the spring was so loose. I've never seen this before. It was on a bari sax. The usual problem is a leak somewhere on the horn. Another thing to experiment with is putting your cork grease tube down your bell. I know that on some saxophones the air has a difficult time rounding the bend. If you put something like a cork grease tube down the bell, the air will jump over it and eliminate the problem. Some guys like to glue a small piece of cork in the bottom of the sax to help this problem.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
have you used a tuner on your sax? some saxes will do this especially if the mouthpiece is too far out on the neck cork.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's interesting. I have to have the mouthpiece pulled right out to play in tune. I think you might be on to something here. I shall try pushing it on and playing with a more relaxed embouchure. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
if you play with mouthpiece only you should blow a concert a for alto.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having now pushed the mouthpiece further on, the tone of low C is rock solid and does not waver of its own freewill. Thanks to Saxxysymbol and all who took the time and trouble to help me out.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Woah indeed I had the same problem! Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts