Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya

My tenor saxophone's pinky table is uneven; the C# and Bb keys are raised above the B and G# keys. Here's a picture:

View attachment 51405

When you depress the C# key, the mechanism seems to work, except from the bar that sort of pivots to open the low C# pad doesn't move. Here's a couple of pictures (the first the C# key is unpressed, the second it is depressed. The thing moves up and down but the C# pad mechanism doesn't move):

View attachment 51406
View attachment 51407

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The pinky table is, yes, very uneven and should be regulated. However, I'm not sure it's the reason why the C# mechanism is not functioning. You could try
1. unstick the C# pad...
2. oil the point screws of the C# mechanism
3. see if the point screws are not too tight.
Of course, if the one of the above remedies works, you will still have to show your sax to a tech to regulate the pinky table!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pinky table is, yes, very uneven and should be regulated. However, I'm not sure it's the reason why the C# mechanism is not functioning. You could try
1. unstick the C# pad...
2. oil the point screws of the C# mechanism
3. see if the point screws are not too tight.
Of course, if the one of the above remedies works, you will still have to show your sax to a tech to regulate the pinky table!
The C# pad isn't stuck, but for some reason it isn't springing up. If you push it a little it springs up slightly so I'm assuming that there isn't enough tension in the spring or something.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
On many saxes I think it is actually desirable to have the B touchpiece slightly below the C#. (Why should they be level other than pretty appearance?)
That is because if it is slightly below, that aids sliding form C# to B, which is a pushing action for the finger and therefore more challenging for the finger than the pulling action of going from B to C#.

(And we normally never slide the finger between G# and C# or B touch pieces, so where the G# touchpiece is doesn't really matter as long as it is not in the way for C# and B.)

But the locations do seem a bit extreme in this case.

Nevertheless, these levers are unlikely to be the cause of the low C# key not opening. The pad may be stuck to the tone hole... Pull it up manually. Or its pivot may be rusted or bent or jammed from gummy residue from substandard oil.

BTW, standard terminology: Keys have pads attached to them. Levers remotely operate keys.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The C# pad isn't stuck, but for some reason it isn't springing up. If you push it a little it springs up slightly so I'm assuming that there isn't enough tension in the spring or something.[/QUOTE
On my sax, the C# key does not lift when the sax is horizontal (the spring has to lift the key, which is too heavy) but in playing position it works just fine. Do you encounter your problem when in playing position?

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Without pictures of the mechanism- and even then holding the sax in person would be the best of course- it really does look for all the world like it would if the arm off the C# touch rod at the bottom end has somehow wound up on the wrong side of the lever or bar it presses to allow the C# to open. Sometimes the alignment is such that an inadvertent bump to the horn will cause it to flip over to the wrong side causing the table to go cattywhumpus and the C# not to work.

On the alignment; there's "B slightly higher than C# to facilitate movement" and then there's "flat screwed up". I believe this falls into the latter category.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2015
141 Posts
It looks like the touch pad may be jamed towards one of the other ones -- Did this horn take a hit or fall over ??

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
More photos needed, clearly showing hte relevant connection between the lever and the key, including the spring that opens the C#. (There are several systems used, each with its idiosyncrasies.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
It appears at first glance that its a yamaha pinky cluster, it also appears to have the felt/cork missing from the rod to C# key contact point, this will explain the out of symmetry pinky table, put the cork back and wolla all aligned again

As far as the key not opening, well I need to look at it personally, but I suspect maybe a little bit of damage has occured and its binding

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
On many saxes I think it is actually desirable to have the B touchpiece slightly below the C#. (Why should they be level other than pretty appearance?)
That is because if it is slightly below, that aids sliding form C# to B, which is a pushing action for the finger and therefore more challenging for the finger than the pulling action of going from B to C#.

(And we normally never slide the finger between G# and C# or B touch pieces, so where the G# touchpiece is doesn't really matter as long as it is not in the way for C# and B.)

But the locations do seem a bit extreme in this case.

Nevertheless, these levers are unlikely to be the cause of the low C# key not opening. The pad may be stuck to the tone hole... Pull it up manually. Or its pivot may be rusted or bent or jammed from gummy residue from substandard oil.

BTW, standard terminology: Keys have pads attached to them. Levers remotely operate keys.
I agree

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The C# pad isn't stuck, but for some reason it isn't springing up. If you push it a little it springs up slightly so I'm assuming that there isn't enough tension in the spring or something.[/QUOTE
On my sax, the C# key does not lift when the sax is horizontal (the spring has to lift the key, which is too heavy) but in playing position it works just fine. Do you encounter your problem when in playing position?
Actually I've just tried it on it's side (so the pad opens downwards). It does open but with a slightly delayed reaction. I don't think there is enough tension in the spring (or something).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the help guys, I'll have a proper look tomorrow and see if I can work anything out. Either way I think I'll have to take it to get repaired, I was just hoping there was an easy solution :(

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Actually I've just tried it on it's side (so the pad opens downwards). It does open but with a slightly delayed reaction. I don't think there is enough tension in the spring (or something).
So you encounter the problem even when the pad's weight is helping the spring -if i've correctly understood. This would confirm the advices of Gordon and Simso above: "the pivot may be rusted or bent or jammed from gummy residue from substandard oil".

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don't know if your comments solved the poster's problem, but hey, thanks!--because they did solve mine quite painlessly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts