Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a Martin "Committee" tenor, 1955 model, serial #179xxx.

I've had a lot of trouble getting the low B and Bb out - I thought it was just me. Had a friend play it today and (without me mentioning anything) he said "There's something going on with your B, dude!"

also something going on with the Bb - which is slightly easier to get out - but at this stage I'm going to assume that the "B" problem is causing the "Bb" problem as well.

Having gone over the horn extensively with a leak light it appears that all the pads are sealing.

My next thought was a tonehole solder leak. I found one on my A key ages ago, but patched it up with Blu Tac and it plays fine. (I know, I know, dodgy right?)

The low C plays perfectly so I'm pretty sure the problem is somewhere below there. I thought the C# or B toneholes might have a solder leak but after patching them up with blu tac they play fine.

I'm at a complete loss as to where the problem is - if anyone has any suggestions or tips on where it is or other things I should be looking for - please let me know! The horn is old but has the most gorgeous sound of any tenor I've ever played - I just want it to play low notes!

Please help me!

-Dan

P.S. if it helps, the altissimo G is particularly dodgy on this horn. Not sure why that is but maybe this info helps? Everything else is perfect on it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I'll just throw this out there - is the octave key closing all the way? That's probably the one pad you haven't checked if you're using a leaklight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That sings to me like a sock in the bell...

Did you inspect your bell ?!!
:twisted:

I'm a newbie here & allow me such hara-kiri joke !! I just apologise.
But in the guitarisic world, how many times do we say "what's going wrong with this set?! stuffed poor tone!"...

verify all jacks, amp tube... for finally a cranked down volume knob!:D

I'm not very helpfull, but hoping you'll find soon.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PC - the octave key seems fine. I assume you mean the one on the body (not the one on the neck, which is also fine).

If that was a problem wouldn't it be apparent before the low B?

Yeah, I did inspect the bell (I had a leak light crammed in there, LOL!).

I appreciate your insights guys. However it seems the mystery continues...

-Dan

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
go into as dark a room as you can ( at night is best)with somebody helping if that's possible and run the light down. let your help finger the low b and b flat slowly to check that the pads are sealing all the way around evenly and that the pads are seated in the groove. could be the body , bell or rods have been slightly knocked out of alignment and the pads are not seated perfectly in the groove.check to see if the pads are loose.if pads are loose or the pads seats unevenly take it to a tech.

an easy way to try to correct the problem of "out of the groove" is to use a cigarette rolling paper on the pad. wet it and then close down the pad with rubber bands and let dry overnight to re-seat the pad. this may work. may not.
if the pads are way out of the groove take it to a tech.

also check the bow and bell seams for leakage in the darkroom. use a towel to block the light in the bell.

Hope this helps.good luck.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
in the daylight check your rods for the bell keys and make sure you don't have a loose screw. do not overtighten these just look for loose one. you may have the low b rod hanging by a thread, literally.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I'd bet $ that the G# key is opening up. Put a leaklight into the bore and finger low Bb with the lower stack keys F-E-D closed . At this time look and see if the G# is raising up enough to cause a leak. If so, and it should not be doing this, it will require regulating. The pad might seal under normal operation, until you play low C#, B, or Bb. This is a regulation leak, not a pad leak usually.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Check to see if your low C# is vibrating open when you play B and Bb, especially at louder volumes. Subtoning nice and full can do the same thing. Just have a friend hold it shut for you while you play, or if no friends are available try a rubber band (but do NOT leave it on for long, and wipe it down afterwards).

·
Registered
132 Posts
The G# opening is, as mentioned above, one of the most common causes of your horn's symptoms. The low C# blowing open, as also mentioned above, can also cause this. Along the same lines check that the Low Eb, trill F#, side Bb, side C, and any other key held closed by a spring, are not being "blown open" by high pressure while playing the bell tones.

Since it is a Martin, solder joints for the tone holes, body to bow, and bow to bell can also be the cause. Lights are of almost no value to find these. Pressure testing with a Magnehelic leak meter and creative isolation of sections of the horn can find any leak, no matter how small. If your tech doesn't know how to do this have them contact me. I'll be happy to explain how it's done.

David

·
Registered
841 Posts
On a Martin tenor I find that the side C key is often blown open. Find a friend or two and have them push down keys while you play low B ans see if any of it helps. If it does, you've got your leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts