Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have got the loan of a brand new Yani 991 alto for a while. It plays really well all through the scale. I notice however that sometimes when I play G sharp the low B pad closes as well. Is this perhaps that the low B spring is set a bit too light? It does seem that the angle of holding has an effect sometimes. I have Stephen Howard's book and I was looking for this issue but couldn't seem to find it. I would appreciate any input. Unfortunately we don't have a local tech here.

As an aside any tech who wants to relocate to Belfast will clean up!

thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
The spring for the low B is too weak (it's covered in the book under the 2oz action section).
You'll need to unhook the spring and bend it a little further in the appropriate direction (with the horn across your lap looking down onto the low B and Bb key cups you will need to push the spring downwards). Gently pull it back and slip it over the spring cradle.
If it's now too heavy, pull it back a little.

I'm assuming that you've checked the low B spring is in place...it might have come unhooked.

Regards,

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
And mine. :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys for the replies. I thought the low B spring was in place but I'll have time to have a good look at it tonight

1 - 7 of 7 Posts