·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've recently started to play Tenor and keep finding pieces
using the low A ---Misty, Jordu, One and Only Love, just for
starters.
Any advice folks? Playing up an octave doesn't work for me .
Would be very grateful for your thoughts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
Trumpets go to that A so you often see it written. Sometimes, if it's just a single eighth note you can play the third above it without throwing the whole melody off. If it's held or repeated a few times try taking the whole phrase up an octave. If you're playing alone, you can transpose the whole tune up a few intervals. If, for some reason — such as playing with a prerecorded accompaniment — you have to stick to that particular tonal center, you'd have to go to an alto, bari., or clarinet. And, of course, you can always stick your knee in the bell.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the trumpet thing - that hadn't occurred to me.
I guess that's what comes of a bad case of saxocentricity.

Yes, I've heard of the knee in the bell trick, but at my age
I'm going to have to pass on that one.

...or I could go back to the alto.

Thanks again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
Most would take a phrase or a part of phrase up an octave. You can run into the same thing on alto on some tunes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most would take a phrase or a part of phrase up an octave. You can run into the same thing on alto on some tunes.
I do find that pretty difficult, particularly with the melodies of 'One and Only Love' and 'Jordu' -However, many thanks and I'll keep on trying.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...actually tenor parts are written an octave higher than where they actually "sound"

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Yes, we tend to forget that the Realbook in Bb is also meant for trumpets and clarinets, which both go down to low A and more.

In such cases, you could either modify the low A (or other out of range note) by moving it to another chord tone, shifting the whole phrase. part of it or just the note itself up an octave, or standing on the previous note, depending on what works best in the actual context of the tune.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
"Fake" books have been that way for 50 years, from the first hand written ones. Most, especially the standards were taken from the melody of the piano score. you just have to play "around" what's written sometimes. For an example with Misty listen to Dexter Gordon playing it and you'll get the idea.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone.

I guess the answer is not to believe everything you read, just everything you hear.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, we tend to forget that the Realbook in Bb is also meant for trumpets and clarinets, which both go down to low A and more.

In such cases, you could either modify the low A (or other out of range note) by moving it to another chord tone, shifting the whole phrase. part of it or just the note itself up an octave, or standing on the previous note, depending on what works best in the actual context of the tune.
So what would be the best way to approach 'My One and Only Love'? It loses a lot played up an octave. should I try
starting on the second note, the B, and then repeating it? Feels like I'm busking it and I do too much of that already.

Perhaps I'll just play 'Indiana'.

Thanks for your help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
Coltrane plays My One and Only Love up the octave. It's good practice to play some melodies up into the palm keys and Coltrane lays out the melody in a very straight forward manner in this famous recording.

In Jordu the tenor plays the melody up the octave for the A section while the bridge is played as written in the Real Book.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
i think its part of learning the tenor to deal with this.... i mean the Parker Omnibook...which is a stable part of the learning saxophonists diet....is a chore on tenor....but thats part of the learning experience,me figuring out which parts to take up an octave...or stay in the written octave and choose which notes to leave out...or change

you would think that they would have a dedicated book for trumpet and tenor sax!!!!

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,472 Posts
Thanks for this posting. I really have never given it much thought and always play the notes/passages up and octave if there are low A's written. Never even occurred to me to consider Trumpets/Clarinets would be using the same book as 99% of my work has always been combo work with me as a lead.

B

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks very much to everyone, paricularly Stretch!
All these years listening to Jordu and Coletrane without
noticing - until I started to try and play.
Now all is revealed....I hope.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've even seen low A's in the Eb Real Book (Vol. 5, if I recall correctly). I think "In A Sentimental Mood" has one thrown in somewhere... And I know there aren't trumpet players using that! When I've needed to play it I would play the higher A, but that never really sat right with me.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've even seen low A's in the Eb Real Book (Vol. 5, if I recall correctly). I think "In A Sentimental Mood" has one thrown in somewhere... And I know there aren't trumpet players using that! When I've needed to play it I would play the higher A, but that never really sat right with me.
You wouldn't just play one note up an octave, but an entire phrase/line. Although, sometimes the entire melody is written an octave lower from where it is played.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts