Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody make or think of making a current low A horn?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I doubt it. The low A alto, of which a mark VI is the most common I've seen, never really caught on. I guess that doesn't mean a manufacturer would be opposed to making a one-off custom for the right price.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wasn't a member of the forum goiong to make a line of horns from sop to bass in low A to high G?

·
Future Music Educator
1,092 Posts
I wish them luck...the market for a low A alto is extremely rare. The only reason the low A was ever put on the alto was because when Marcel Mule was a developer for Selmer Paris, Marcel had specially requested it put on the Mark VI, which he helped engineer a lot of btw (for all you jazz die-hards :p). I'm not sure whether Marcel had run across the low A in classical literature and had either forced him to play a normal A, or if he had some sort of contraption built into his SBA horns, but either way, that's why it's there.

It might sell for a bit, as considered a "cool" horn, but the fad will fade and the producer might be left with little to show for it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I REMEMBER!!!! It was Phil Barone if I'm not mistaken.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,254 Posts
Doesn't Ornette Coleman play a Low A Alto?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
JPSAX-
Mule had a Low A built because at the time, saxophone literature was still in is infancy to some degree. Mule relied heavilyon transcriptions, and he loved to play a certain Viola Concerto (the composer escaped me at the moment). The lowest note on Viola is concert C, so Mule needed a lot A to perform the work effectively.

Steve P

·
Future Music Educator
1,092 Posts
Hey Steve,

I knew Marcel had a lot to do with the low A development on the VI, and I had a vague idea why, but thanks for the details! I'll have to remember that if I'm ever on Jeopardy or something :p.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts