Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was playing today, without much inspiration and I made these 2 videos in the 2 baritones I currently have.

One Bb down and one Down:

https://youtu.be/_ZHHEW_qR5E

https://youtu.be/BIx5krmk9Dw

Can you feel difference in sound? Which ones did you like the most and why?

Sorry for the simple and poor videos, I recorded it on my cell phone, I only used this trial editing program to add a few pieces, without any effect, which makes it more interesting to hear the notes.

Forgive me the errors of intonation and execution.

Thank you for your time and comment.

My greetings.

Wellison

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,457 Posts
Hello Wellison.

I don’t think that there is any real difference for the listener about you playing either one of these baritones.

Probably because , at this stage of your development as player, it makes very little difference to your sound whether you play on a low Bb or Low A baritone.

I would also say that as for the testing nature of your enquiry and videos, you could have probably better have played the same scale rather than playing two different pieces.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,620 Posts
Well they are two different instruments so there is no reason for them to sound the same anyway. Two apparently identical instruments of the same make can sound different to each other.

I'm not one of those people who believe a low A would make any significant difference to the tone, ie if its was added to an instrument, that instrument would still sound the same apart from possibly minute differences close up if the extra length of bell causes any deflection of sound as it comes out from the top tone holes - but you'd have to be very close to perceive anything like that.

If your aim is to decided whether to keep one and get rid of one, then I'd keep the one with the low A as it will potentially be a lot more useful having that extra bit of low range.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Milandro,

thank you for your words.

really maybe you're right about not sounding different horns in the videos, but the interesting thing is that when I play live they have a huge difference in sound and response.

The Bb is much more designed, fat and colorful the sound, but the low A has more weight in the bass and is very good too.

Actually when I recorded I was not originally planning to make comparisons, but it happened, next time I'll make a scale or the same song, as you suggested.

When I play in bands, low A is more requested, but I think Bb is perfect for soloists.

Thank you very much for your time and your tips.

Wellison

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, Pete, how are you?

Thanks again for your help.

As I said above, for me there is a big difference between the horns, tending more to the serious Bb in terms of general sonority, but the low A relamente, modernamente has more field for acting, but it is a very difficult decission, as both are excellent, low A is a mark VI 276.xxx very tuned and designed, low Bb is a SBA 53.xxx, with a perfect vintage sound a la Pepper Adams, quick response and perfect tuning, it seems a "big" tenor if you can think so . These are very different instruments to compare.

Thanks again.

Wellison

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,620 Posts
Hello, Pete, how are you?
I'm very well thanks!

As I said above, for me there is a big difference between the horns, tending more to the serious Bb in terms of general sonority, but the low A relamente, modernamente has more field for acting, but it is a very difficult decission, as both are excellent, low A is a mark VI 276.xxx very tuned and designed, low Bb is a SBA 53.xxx, with a perfect vintage sound a la Pepper Adams, quick response and perfect tuning, it seems a "big" tenor if you can think so . These are very different instruments to compare.
OK , so it's often that twohorns can seem different to the player, but not to the audience (especially depending on recording limitations)

So given the info then although both Selmers, we wouldn't want to draw conclusions about any generic difference between saxophones with low A and those without.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts