Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Recently I've joined a band and wanted to make sure my sax is in tip top shape with everything it would need to play in said band, but while trying to make a low A extension that I've been meaning to make for a while, I've realized that, while I can play Bb just fine, as soon as I stick anything that extends the bell in, I have an insane amount of trouble playing the note that I want to play! To be fair, I haven't made a proper low A extension yet, and that might help, but I was hoping to see if there's a way to troubleshoot for just playing extensions in general. Any help at all would be appreciated! Much thanks

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Any homemade extension for low A needs to be only about 6 inches long and seal very well. Anything longer or leaky won't work. It also only gets inserted when you want to play low A. It will make other low notes stuffy and slightly out of tune. I use a plastic bottle with weather stripping glued to one end.

Do you have any pictures of your prototypes?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any homemade extension for low A needs to be only about 6 inches long and seal very well. Anything longer or leaky won't work. It also only gets inserted when you want to play low A. It will make other low notes stuffy and slightly out of tune. I use a plastic bottle with weather stripping glued to one end.

Do you have any pictures of your prototypes?
I do not, but I can tell you that it was probably leaky as I was using electrical tape on the outside of the tube instead of weather stripping like everyone else is does, it'salso a bit longer than 6 inches so that might also be a part of the problem, anyways, I'm probably just gonna go by one of the poular articles on how to make one, thank you though! I personally was just wondering if anyone else had an issue of making the lower note even with a perfect extension due to an eumbusher problem or something.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I personally was just wondering if anyone else had an issue of making the lower note even with a perfect extension due to an eumbusher problem or something.
That's possible, but all mine have come out easy on bari if it's not too long and seals well. I never read any how-to articles. I just used what I had on hand and it came out perfect, so well that my friends asked me to make them ones too. But I've been out of the low A extension business since I got a low A bari. Much easier that way.

My bass sax is another story. I tried to make one for it, and it didn't work at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello! I figured low A extensions would count as misc sax accessories so here I am, while my low A extension works great at well.... making a low A, and while I understand that I sacrifice the low Bb on my horn, is it normal for the low B to also be extremely hard to play? I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, and if and how they fixed it, much thanks!

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,988 Posts
Could you be more specific?

What type of low A extension is this? For what type of horn (e.g., soprano, alto, tenor, bari)?

I'm assuming you're not talking about true low A extensions like those made by Benedikt Eppelsheim (which don't affect your ability to play low Bb).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could you be more specific?

What type of low A extension is this? For what type of horn (e.g., soprano, alto, tenor, bari)?

I'm assuming you're not talking about true low A extensions like those made by Benedikt Eppelsheim (which don't affect your ability to play low Bb).

I'm talking about a cardboard tube extension for a 1929 Beuscher baritone saxophone

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! Recently I've joined a band and wanted to make sure my sax is in tip top shape with everything it would need to play in said band, but while trying to make a low A extension that I've been meaning to make for a while, I've realized that, while I can play Bb just fine, as soon as I stick anything that extends the bell in, I have an insane amount of trouble playing the note that I want to play! To be fair, I haven't made a proper low A extension yet, and that might help, but I was hoping to see if there's a way to troubleshoot for just playing extensions in general. Any help at all would be appreciated! Much thanks
Don't bother! no need...

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's been a while since I've done made an extension like this myself. Last time I used a pvc pipe (I can't remember the diameter...). One thing to note is how far you set it into the bell. Sometimes setting it in too stiff just won't work right, even if it isn't too deep to reach a tone hole. I can't explain why, but I recall this being an issue with one of the extensions I made for one of my bari's (I'm being extra vague, I know). I had to put the extension in a little loose, just let it sit in there, not jam it in.

Hope that helps, but best of luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,593 Posts
Hello! I figured low A extensions would count as misc sax accessories so here I am, while my low A extension works great at well.... making a low A, and while I understand that I sacrifice the low Bb on my horn, is it normal for the low B to also be extremely hard to play? I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, and if and how they fixed it, much thanks!
you've asked more or less the same thing here

crossposting is not a good thing and against the forum rules

Reactions: 134520

·
41,593 Posts
Another possibility would be to create something like a bin lid which half closes the bell.

which is what this alto player does against his knee

Maybe it is possible to spring-load one of these mutes (or the Sound deflector by Saxlab?)

possibly the player could be using a hi-hat pedal?

·
Banned
307 Posts
I used to own a Selmer Mark VI alto with a low A key. There is no music written for low A on alto. Bari, yeah. The low A alto had a longer bell with the key for it under the left hand thumb rest. It was a real low A, and in tune, but it threw the balance of the horn off, and the intonation of the horn was not as good as a conventional alto. It did not sell well, and Selmer dropped it after 500 were made.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's been a while since I've done made an extension like this myself. Last time I used a pvc pipe (I can't remember the diameter...). One thing to note is how far you set it into the bell. Sometimes setting it in too stiff just won't work right, even if it isn't too deep to reach a tone hole. I can't explain why, but I recall this being an issue with one of the extensions I made for one of my bari's (I'm being extra vague, I know). I had to put the extension in a little loose, just let it sit in there, not jam it in.

Hope that helps, but best of luck!
Alright, I'll try that, thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you've asked more or less the same thing here

crossposting is not a good thing and against the forum rules
Ah, I see how they're similar, but they are infact two separate questions that I thought could use their own posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Yes. Take it out.

·
41,593 Posts
Hello Soybean, you wrote your post within the quote, it s just by chance (you mention my moniker ) that I saw it, writing within the quote box makes one post invisible

The second picture is a mute, probably , intended to use a microphone.

If you partly cover the bell when playing the Bb (as demonstrated on alto at some point on the video above) you get a low A, this works on any saxophone and I have seen it done in many ways during a performance.

If one equips a saxophone with a device which open and closes a “ door” on the bell one should get the same effect.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,544 Posts
Hello Soybean, you wrote your post within the quote,…

The second picture is a mute, probably , intended to use a microphone.…
Thanks Milandro. I fixed the post to be outside the quote. thanks for the information.

·
41,593 Posts
Cheers, it happens a lot lately ;) :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts