Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering what makes of pro model baris to low A have the low A key for both the left thumb and also the LH pinky cluster - in particular baris with modern style keywork.

The only baris I know of that have the double low A key are:

Older Amati low A baris (Lafleur, B&H 400, etc.)
Mexi-Conn and Armstrong low A baris
Selmer USA/Bundy/Buescher low A baris
Older B&S baris (Weltklang, B&M Champion, Elkhart, Sonora, Trafford, Berg Larsen, etc.) - these had the more modern Selmer style bell key action (unlike the B&S soprano, alto and tenor saxes at the time) with the LH pinky low A touchpiece linked to a tab soldered to the low Bb touchpiece.

But none of them are considered pro models.

I don't know if the earliest low A Selmer or Keilwerth baris had the double low A key, but do know Yamaha, Yanagisawa and H.Couf/Keilwerth baris didn't and still don't, neither do the Buffet S1 or SML low A baris or the more recent B&S (Dave Guardala) baris that I've seen. I don't think the Italian baris (Grassi, Rampone&Cazzani, etc.) had the double low A key.

But if any of the above did and you have one or have catalogue photos of them, can you post photos as I'd like to see how they arranged the LH pinky low A key - only to see if it's set below the low Bb touchpiece (as on the DDR-era B&S baris) or if it curls around the side (either side) of the low Bb touchpiece and how it links up to the other bell keys.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Okay, I don't know if this is considered a pro horn, but my Keilwerth The New King bari from 1959 does have the double Low A: left thumb (as usual), left pinky (under Low Bb). The second option is done by a small coupler only which is hard to hit and even harder to press down enough to work properly, so I don't consider it a real "double"; I've never used it to date. But mechanically speaking, it's there, and it works.

I'll post pictures when I get back home in a couple of days - though I may need a reminder ;)

M.

·
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that - I wondered if the old Keilwerth New King baris had the double low A keys as I've never seen them.

Just out of curiosity - did they have metal keyguards instead of clear perspex ones? I'd like to hope they did considering how brittle the perspex ones were.

·
Registered
860 Posts
No, it's got the famous angel's wing... though the bari has obviously seen a lot of action and one of the posts that hold the big bell keyguard was missing, the keyguard itself doesn't show any real damage (some blind spots here and there, only appearance issues). It's actually quite amazing since I've seen numerous keyguards of that sort on altos and tenors that *were* damaged or broken.

The keywork's a mix of modern portions and some more "vintage" ones. Except for some obvious problems (like the really clunky low A and some LH key heights that are impossibe to adjust really well), the action is quite slick - especially RH. And the sound is huge (well, mostly - except for some distinctively dull notes, but they matter less than the FAT low end).

After some problems in the beginning, I've grown pretty fond of that horn to be honest.

M.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
Weltklang baris (reportedly made by Richard (brother of Julius) Keilwerth) have the double operators for low A.

·
Registered
860 Posts

·
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's almost identical to the B&S/Weltklang low A key with the two linkage arms - only this Keilwerth version doesn't have an actual LH low A touchpiece fitted to the connecting arm (although one can be made and fitted relatively easily should you ever want one).

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2016
908 Posts
11M Conns (fantastic instruments BTW !) have the double action.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.