Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon and Happy Holidays!

My name is Sal.. I am looking for guidance from someone who can tell me how to play a low A on the alto saxophone.

Semper Fidelis!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,903 Posts
Good Afternoon and Happy Holidays!

My name is Sal.. I am looking for guidance from someone who can tell me how to play a low A on the alto saxophone.

Semper Fidelis!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,903 Posts
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/HandyHints/Bari_extension.htm

You can also make a low A extension. You basically make the instrument longer when needed but you will loose low B-flat when using the extension. The linked article is for a baritone sax but I did this with a curved soprano sax once to be able to get low A (concert G on soprano).
Yes, nice idea and makes total sense for baritone as A is often written for baritone. But OTOH low A isn't (or shouldn't be) written for alto.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, nice idea and makes total sense for baritone as A is often written for baritone. But OTOH low A isn't (or shouldn't be) written for alto.
I agree. I don’t know why anyone would want a low A on alto. When I did this for soprano, I was playing violin duets, written for violin, with a violin player. Violin goes down to G (A on soprano) so it was nice to have that note as an option rather than have to take it up an octave or leave it out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
[*]Play a Bb and put your foot in the bell (easier on tenor, not so easy on alto)
The inside of your left thigh will work, also. That is, if you are flexible enough and accept that it's more of a party trick than an alternate "fingering". I have been known to use the thigh-A just to mess with the bari player (who is cheating by having a keyed low A, not fair!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts