Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my new Keilwerth SX90 R Nickle /Silver sax and its amazing however the low notes always are more difficult to play . I have only been playing tenor for about
4 months so maybe thats the answer. I have decent tone and my setup it a Meyers # 6 with a Jazz select 2 med reed .
Doug

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,718 Posts
That's a pretty mild setup. I don't know why it should be difficult to speak in the low range.

Have you had it to a tech to check for leaks?

That's one of the first steps for a newly-arrived horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
If you can't setup the sax yourself (many VERY good sax players can't) then take it to a sax tech, so he can bring everything into regulation. It isn't uncommon for many saxes (both new and used) to be out of regulation "out of the box" after shipping.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Keilwerth horns are very easy to play down low. That is the main reason I switched from my VI to a Shadow, as I got tired of having to struggle to get them to come out. I am sure they are easy on some other makes of horns too, but I always had a tough time on Selmers for some reason. I would suggest a technician also. Something might be out of whack with your bell keys, or your g# might be hanging open slightly too. If the horn is new, it will take a little bit for the pads to completely seat, so you may have to have it checked and adjusted several times during the next few months, depending on how much you play it and how much pressure you apply to the keys. Definitely sounds like some adjustments need to be made

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I just knocked a spring out way down low on the horn...horn played still ,but low end didnt have it any more...once i figured out the problem horns back in top(and big bottom)shape

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,585 Posts
Ok so i will take it to a tech and I will have to pay to get it adjusted oh well
That's usually the way it works. They make your horn playable and you give them money.
Unless the tech works for the shop where you purchased it. Then sometimes they'll adjust it free of charge.
Either way it's time and money well spent.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Keilwerth can be great playing/sounding horns. Make sure it's adjusted well and the low end pads are sealing well...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
The size of the bow section makes the (properly regulated) Keilwerth speak very easily in the lower register. I would guess it is definitely a set-up issue. If you are fairly new to playing, you need to cultivate a relationship with a good tech anyway, so this is your chance.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brought my new sax to a great tech in fort lauderdale named Pete and he told me it had leaks from top to bottom and the horn hadn't been set up at all. That to fix it it would be 64.00 . I called Woodwind and Brasswinds and they said to fax the receipt and they will pay me back . Thats nice and now I know it wasn't me and it was the horn .

Doug

·
34,718 Posts
Wow, nice response from WWBW. You will be amazed at the difference after you get your horn properly adjusted.

G'luck with your mouthpiece quest - that'll be next!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Let us know how it plays after the adjustment!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yes. Great response from WWBW. I am sure you are going to love it when it comes back. Once you get the sound in your head how a properly adjusted horn plays, it will be a good guide line to when you need to take it in to have it re adjusted down the line, and you will notice a difference. I know my horn so well that if it even plays ever so slightly different, or the low notes dont speak easy, then its time for a trip to PM Woodwind. Many players can play through small leaks in a horn, but I can tell the difference, and if I have to fight to get the response I want to get then I know its generally caused by a leaking problem. The horn should play without having to really slam your fingers down on the keys with a lot of pressure. A light touch should make everything close properly

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess I will have to wait now till monday so I will play my Alto sax P Mauriat 67RUL oh well .

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just got my sax back and in a word its outstanding ! No more problems with the low notes its so day now to hit any notes. I AM GLAD i took it in or I would have never known how bad it really was. He said it also had a bent Bb key and lots of leaks too

Doug

·
34,718 Posts
Excellent news, Doug. Thanks for sharing that.

How's the mouthpiece quest going?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
It's probably a good rule of thumb to take any horn that's been shipped to you to a good tech for a once over, unless you're a competent tech yourself, and I'm not. Even if you don't think the horn has any glaring issues, you might not even realize that you're working harder than you have to.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts