Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently begun doubling with a small "big band" and find my clarinet just doesn't cut through even when I blow as hard as I dare. I'm using a Vandoren 5rvLyre piece. My instructor's B45 doesn't seem much better. I know that Vandoren has a 5jb, but the one I've heard really didn't have a good tone. Also, I wonder whether a low intermediate player can handle such a big opening. So... does anyone have a suggestion for something affordable that will really project but isn't so "wild" that a non-professional can control it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
Maybe a Ralph Morgan J5 or J6. Ralph's pieces have good projection and response. And even his more open pieces blow pretty easily. Same with Charles Bay's pieces but they're a little pricey.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Is there a custom jazz for clarinet, or just a custom?

Morgans are nice. I like the B45 that came with a clarinet I bought, though I have a Beechler that is louder.

·
13,026 Posts
Get a Lakey and have the facing cleaned up. Great bang for the buck.

·
14,268 Posts
I use a Vandoren 66 - don't see them listed in any of the catalogs. But not too long ago, SOTW poster VITO found a 66 and a 55 (after trying my 66) and loves both of them. I use a Fibracell reed on mine which really gives this set-up some punch.

The B45 works for me, too (with a Fibracell) but lacks the authority of the VD 66. The 5JB gives me a pretty big sound but lacks the projection and focus of my 66. The 5JB is more spread for me - very warm, though.

AND, recently I picked up a new Rovner 5 mouthpiece that is as close to the 66 as I've ever come.

I have a few Lakeys, too. They are loud but they are also sharp in pitch. I got them directly from Claude years ago and he told me he pitched them at A443. I believe him. DAVE

·
12,710 Posts
I will probably start an arguement but its my general opinon that a larger facing does NOT create a significant difference in volume...especially for non-advanced players. Volume is in the horn, the mpc, and the air stream. There may be subtle differences in tip opeinings but its no answer to your problem. Never play with an opening that is too big for you. Change mouthpiece design and work on airstream for increased volume and projection. If the tip is to big you will just play bad...not loud!

P.S. Lakeys make my ears bleed!

·
2,767 Posts
Sigmund451 said:
I will probably start an arguement but its my general opinon that a larger facing does NOT create a significant difference in volume...especially for non-advanced players. Volume is in the horn, the mpc, and the air stream. There may be subtle differences in tip opeinings but its no answer to your problem. Never play with an opening that is too big for you. Change mouthpiece design and work on airstream for increased volume and projection. If the tip is to big you will just play bad...not loud!

P.S. Lakeys make my ears bleed!
Never heard a Lakey, but I agree with all of the rest. Unless you're looking for a big, spread, Johnny Dodds kind of tone, a wide tip opening is probably not going to do it for you. I use my classical setup (Borbeck custom 13, Vandoren V12 #4 reed) for everything. I pretty much never play trad jazz or klezmer (except in my room), so I don't really need a setup that can do that. If I want to play classical or pretend to be Benny Goodman or Don Byron, my setup allows me that range (plus a bunch), with plenty of volume, as long as I use a strong, fast, well-focused airstream.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Rico Royal Graftonite B5.

I use this on my Pan American metal clarinet and it has a pretty good punch.

As always, you should try before you buy.

·
13,026 Posts
I'll add that it is for for big band use that I use a cleaned up Lakey with a Click barrel. When the brass go up in pitch you can adjust to play comfortably at wherever the pitch settles in. It is not suitable for legit ensemble playing, but it sure is a relief to play in front of a big band without having to pop a blood vessel to be heard. The color can be altered by the player as well with (cue echo chamber) "practicing long tones".

It doesn't have to make your ears bleed, but in front of trumpets, wouldn't you like the option?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Loudest mouthpiece I've used is a Larry Combs LC3. The craziest mouthpiece I've owned was the Rico Metallite 7. It was a high baffle, big opening, small chamber mouthpiece similar to the brightest metal sax mouthpieces out there. It wasn't as loud as that LC3 though....... My current mouthpiece of choice is the Morgan Benny Goodman. Smaller tip size than even the LC3 classical mouthpiece. You can't say Benny Goodman didn't project. Tip sizes seem to matter less for projection on clarinet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Try a Vandoren B45(dot). Like the regular B45 it will give you more punch than the 5RV, but I think the dot mpc has a really nice round sound due to a larger chamber. The 5JB is pretty extreme and very open - only if you're looking to knock out some walls!

Definitely try everything you can get your hands on, but I like the Vandorens because they're affordable, consistent, and easy to find (a big plus when you need a replacement!)

·
2,960 Posts
enviorguy-have you played a prueffer silver throat or just heard of them? i have 2 and indeed they are the loudest most powerfull clarinet i have ever played cheap or expencive. my weapon of choice for soloing over a big band. add a rico metalite mpc and plasticover reed / bonade lig and its a force to be recommend with! its also a very good clarinet to boot!

·
2,960 Posts
its the same thing. its a teriffic jazz clarinet mpc. mojo-the silverthroat is made or hard rubber with a coin silver liner in the bore. the bore size is also huge and only the boozy&h 1010 has a larger bore. this is one powerful clarinet

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use a JodyJazz mpc on my clarinet, and I find that it gives a very strong sound. The JodyJazz has something called a spoiler (which is like an extra little reed inside the mpc and can be removed) that can give you a lot of volume. I usually don't use the spoiler because it can make it difficult to play softly.

http://www.jodyjazz.com/clarinet.html

1 - 20 of 53 Posts