Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, what´s please the loudest alto mpc out there ?
many thanks
:mumum::mumum::mumum::mumum::mumum::mumum::mumum::mumum::mumum::mumum::mumum:

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,283 Posts
In my experience, an English made Berg Larsen 110/1SMS, Eboonite. When they started manufacturing them in Belgium I lost the liking of this pieces. If you can get one and play with that an open piece, it roars.

Then, the Jumbo Javas do very well.

Here the reeds have a lot to do. Plasticovers seem to fit very well to scream a lot. With my setup, Jumbo Java A45 and a decibelimeter, 125db have been measured once.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,636 Posts
Lakey, Berg Larsen , Beechler Bellite, in combination witha softer reed that you are used to will scream very, contlo of the lower notes becomes less precise but that's not what you want if you ask a question like that.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
That's a tough question, I suspect that most answers will vary greatly.

A good starting point, however, is a mouthpiece with a high-baffle design. Test all the pieces you can find with this kind of design and you will be able to find what fits you best.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Drake Contemporary. I use a .085 Drake Contemporary alto piece. Much more control, and dynamics, as well as a fuller tone, than MOST (not all mind you, just most) Dukoffs, Bergs, and Lakeys. And perfectly built, unlike those 3 other brands!

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
For me, it was a Lakey 6* with #5 reeds. Sounded like crap, but was great for the college marching band.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
Loudest piece I ever played was a Runyon metal smoothbore. Unbelievably loud, even without the spoiler insert. It was too much. If I wanted a piece with more volume than my Meyer 8 I'd play a Beechler diamond inlay. Plenty of punch but still a decent tone once you're used to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In my experience, an English made Berg Larsen 110/1SMS, Eboonite. When they started manufacturing them in Belgium I lost the liking of this pieces. If you can get one and play with that an open piece, it roars.

Then, the Jumbo Javas do very well.

Here the reeds have a lot to do. Plasticovers seem to fit very well to scream a lot. With my setup, Jumbo Java A45 and a decibelimeter, 125db have been measured once.
Yeah I can't play my Jumbo Java in small rooms. I begin to hear my ears crackle.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
If you go with a Diamond Inlay for playing LOUD it would have to be the small chamber. It's pretty similar to a Lakey, maybe a half a notch tamer. Actually a Lakey with a decent facing isn't too shabby. I don't care for the Metalites on alto. You can only honk below about G in the lower register. Likely a refacer could fix that.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My JodyJazz DV 8 with a soft reed is pretty piercing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts