Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lou Donaldson is a "stone cold [email protected]#*er"! I grew up listening to the sides he made with Clifford Brown and Art Blakey. He's got the complete package like Stitt and Bird. Style, soul and virtuosity.

He's also a helluva golfer, for an eighty-year-old.

·
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jamiejazz said:
He's one of the best-beautiful legato bebop lines.

It's down to Papa Lou, Phil Woods, Konitz and McPherson now

Jamie

Charlie Mariano is still around. I don't know what he sounds like these days.

Also Jerry Dodgion is an unsung hero of be-bop alto. He's still going strong.

·
6,862 Posts
Love Lou Donaldson!

My father in law just bought a new computer and for some reason the whole Natural Soul album was loaded on as a music sample! That was cool.

Apparently Eddie Vinson was a big golf nut too.

Rory

·
Registered
683 Posts
Great pic Andy. What did you guys talk about? Music, golf, current events?
I heard from one of his former band mates that Don Byas was into scuba diving and would bring his gear on the road with him. It's interesting to learn what other interests or hobbies our musical heros have.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I didn't realize that was you in the pic-how did you get to play golf with him?
I bet he was funny too-Any stories?

You're of course right about Mariano and others (Lanny Morgan, Bud Shank, Moody, Bartz etc etc etc). Didn't exactly mean to start a comprehensive list there.

I think a lot of people just hear Lou play the groove stuff and don't realize the chops he has. Apart from the stuff with Clifford, I love "Fried Buzzard" with the fastest version of "Wee" on it. He always likes to get the rhythm section to sit out while he burns on a fast standard. I prefer his tone from the sixties onwards, once he started playing on the meyer/mkvi combo (although I could be wrong).

Jamie O'D

·
1,877 Posts
Lou is the man. My first record I tried to play sax along with was MUSTY RUSTY. I have a bunch of Lou on vinyl

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
jamiejazz said:
I didn't realize that was you in the pic-how did you get to play golf with him?
Hmmm... let me guess... (fade in whole tone scales, slow Xfade)

Lou: Man, I just love to play golf. I wish I had someone to go play a round with while I'm here.

Andy: I play golf. Wanna join me?

Lou: Sure. When can we go?

Lou: BTW, can we not talk about jazz and saxophones while we're playing?

Andy: Yeah, I'm sick of that stuff. Tiger Woods, baby, that's WHAT I'M TALKIN' 'BOUT!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Yeah, Lou and Moody, the old guys got IT---even when they tell OLD jokes.

·
Registered
306 Posts
jamiejazz said:
I prefer his tone from the sixties onwards, once he started playing on the meyer/mkvi combo (although I could be wrong).

Jamie O'D
Really? I'm kind of bummed by a lot of 60's Lou, because he was
experimenting with the Varitone electric sax. I love the tone he gets
on Blues Walk. Man, that is such a great tune I wonder why more
alto players don't cover it. Alligator Boogaloo too, another great blues head.

That said, I love Lou, and hope he lives forever. When is he going to put out a new album? I'll buy it as soon as it's out!

As BS said, those sides with Clifford Brown at Birdland just smoke! As do so
many others, Lou is just a treasure.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Blues Walk is great-I love "Move". He's so great at fast tempos, in a different way to Stitt and Cannon etc. On the Birdland albums, He fits perfectly with Clifford and the articulation they use is right on it.

I think of Alligator Bogaloo and Good Gracious as kind of iconic 60's albums for Lou-there's something kind of fragile about his tone I love on these.

He still sounds great now-Phil Woods raved about him in the liner notes for the 'Live at Sea album'.

J

·
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Lou on the tee.

We spoke mostly of golf. Who could play and who was jive. Ray Brown and Jimmy Cobb could play some golf, but "Sweets" Edison was a "hacker".

He also talked a bit about music. This cat should write a book.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts