Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been losing more and more motivation to play. The reason for this is that I'm comfortable playing it's always a struggle. I completely ruined my embouchure 3 years ago, almost had rsi last year and now I'm struggling with headaches when I'm playing long tones(and just playing). First I start to feel light headed when I play for example a palm E for 4 beats at 80 bpm. When I'm done playing the note I feel a sort of rush to my head and a pounding in my temples and pain in my neck. It really hurts it's not just a uncomfortable headache. I keep a slight headache and pain in my neck for the rest of the day and barely can play because of it.

Does anyone knows how to deal with this? Is my set up too heavy? Or is it my horn that's really resistant?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,891 Posts
Lately I've been losing more and more motivation to play. The reason for this is that I'm comfortable playing it's always a struggle.
You mean uncomfortable I think ???

I completely ruined my embouchure 3 years ago, almost had rsi last year and now I'm struggling with headaches when I'm playing long tones(and just playing). First I start to feel light headed when I play for example a palm E for 4 beats at 80 bpm. When I'm done playing the note I feel a sort of rush to my head and a pounding in my temples and pain in my neck. It really hurts it's not just a uncomfortable headache. I keep a slight headache and pain in my neck for the rest of the day and barely can play because of it.

Does anyone knows how to deal with this? Is my set up too heavy? Or is it my horn that's really resistant?
I'm really sorry to hear that, you sounded good on those videos you posted a while back.

I don't think this can be the horn, nor is likely to be anything diagnosable over the internet (although hyperventilation springs to mind)

I think you should seek qualified medical advice as soon as possible.

·
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ypu mean uncomfortable I think ???

I'm really sorry to hear that, you sounded good on those videos you posted a while back.

I don't think this can be the horn, nor is likely to be anything diagnosable over the internet (although hyperventilation springs to mind)

Thank you for your response. i appreciate it. When searching around the internet I only found comparable symptoms from people who played oboe. They get it from the backpressure of the instrument en my horn is really resistant that's why I'm going to try others horns this week. I know it's not hyperventilating because I used to hyperventilate when singing before I took lessons and this feels nothing like this. I've had it before on my other horn when I just switched form the stock mouthpiece to a link so but that was only when I was getting used to the mouthpiece.

·
28,891 Posts
Thank you for your response. i appreciate it. When searching around the internet I only found comparable symptoms from people who played oboe. They get it from the backpressure of the instrument en my horn is really resistant that's why I'm going to try others horns this week. I know it's not hyperventilating because I used to hyperventilate when singing before I took lessons and this feels nothing like this. I've had it before on my other horn when I just switched form the stock mouthpiece to a link so but that was only when I was getting used to the mouthpiece.
What mouthpiece and reeds?

What happens with closer tip, longer facing or softer reeds?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Too much resistance maybe mouthpiece or reed or combination of either. Dont think the horn itself is the cause. OTOH it may be worth a medical check up as well.

·
Registered
583 Posts
RSI, headaches - I would not wait another week if i were you.

Apart from that: a leaking horn and/or a too heavy set up can cause or worsen problems with breathing/air support/posture. It will not harm to let a qualified tech or accomplished player check out your horn and maybe you could start experimenting with smaller tips/lighter reeds. I have the impression that with some training you can get as much (sometimes even more) sound out of lighter reeds than out of heavier ones.

When I had RSI my therapist forced me to use a different strap, one that would not cut off the blood vessels in my neck; there may also be some room for improvement there.

I would go looking for some kind of fysiotherapist who is specialized in dealing with musicians. All the best!

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
1. You might be _stressing_to much....thus causing a internal stress. RELAX, then see what happens ok

2. When did talk to a doctor last, get a physical etc and your blood pressure checked? The "net" is a good thing but, as a friend, I'd say hit upa doc' and get a physical- talk to him then. At your age,blood pressure is uncommon, BUT...ya never know.

Consult a DOC'...today please.

·
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you all^^

What mouthpiece and reeds?

What happens with closer tip, longer facing or softer reeds?
i play a stan getz legends series 6* with 3,5 v16 reeds. I start to sqeak when i play softer reeds but it does feel more comfortable.

RSI, headaches - I would not wait another week if i were you.

Apart from that: a leaking horn and/or a too heavy set up can cause or worsen problems with breathing/air support/posture. It will not harm to let a qualified tech or accomplished player check out your horn and maybe you could start experimenting with smaller tips/lighter reeds. I have the impression that with some training you can get as much (sometimes even more) sound out of lighter reeds than out of heavier ones.

When I had RSI my therapist forced me to use a different strap, one that would not cut off the blood vessels in my neck; there may also be some room for improvement there.

I would go looking for some kind of fysiotherapist who is specialized in dealing with musicians. All the best!
The rsi thing is completely gone btw after I've been to a physiotherapist and my embouchure problems are gone too. I did buy a different neckstrap because i thought that was the problem but it doesn't help. What kind of strap are you using? Also my horn was checked for leaks 2 months ago and It did play better but I don't know if there still is room for improvement. My teacher said that my horn was really resistant to play (we switched horns not mouthpieces, he also plays a 54 ref)

1. You might be _stressing_to much....thus causing a internal stress. RELAX, then see what happens ok

2. When did talk to a doctor last, get a physical etc and your blood pressure checked? The "net" is a good thing but, as a friend, I'd say hit upa doc' and get a physical- talk to him then. At your age,blood pressure is uncommon, BUT...ya never know.

Consult a DOC'...today please.
I get my blood pressure checked every month because of my meds but it always normal. I didn't feel stressed or anything. Sometime I have no trouble at all and sometimes it's really bad like today. I don't think it's something medical because I have no problems with tae kwondo training which is 3 times a week for me and I'm in pretty good shape.

·
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm, you already had your horn checked and still both you and your teacher find it quite resisting. It's not your physical shape either.
Time to get another, less resisting tenor maybe. Did you try some good VI's already ?
Can't afford them^^

·
28,891 Posts
Can't afford them^^
Nor do you need to, it doesn't sound like your problem is merely a lack of a MKVI.

Although some horns are more resistant than others, the difference in resistance is not dramatic enough to be causing the issues.

·
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nor do you need to, it doesn't sound like your problem is merely a lack of a MKVI.

Although some horns are more resistant than others, the difference in resistance is not dramatic enough to be causing the issues.
I think my set-up was just too hard for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts