Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone living in LA please tell me where the best sax shop is with a lot of horns to play with
I know there must be some but cant find in the phone book
I currently live in Northridge but can drive to downtown LA or Hollywierd

HELP!!!!!!
This freakin music capitol of the world has to have some good ones.
:a-run: :director: :banghead:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks
i just talked to the scimonetti folks
think ill head down there
about 50 miles away but sounds like a sweet place

with a name like that i would think they sell pasta or something

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Dave: Scimonetti's is a great place. There is also Zep's in Burbank (owned by the now deceased Zep Meizner, noted studio guy); Baxter-Northrup in Sherman Oaks on Ventura Blvd. west of Van Nuys Bl.; the Horn Connection in Hollywood; Stein's on Vine across from the Musician's Union bldg.; Nick Rail (several locations); and if you wanna drive to Las Vegas for a nice experience, Dave Kessler's shops. Also, there is a Sam Ash store in Canoga Park (DeSoto and Roscoe). DAVE

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
Never been to Zeps, a lot of people like it though. Baxter-Northup is my favorite store anywhere for everything except horns. The Horn COnnection has a whole lot of nice horns for decent prices (well, on the pricey side, but you get a nice set-up with it). My big beef with that store is the owner, he's kind of a jerk. Nick Rail stores usually have Yamahas and Selmers in stock. Sam Ah (the one mentioned above, right down the street from me) is hit-and-miss, but they have some nice Cannonballs right now, and last time I was ther, they had a beautiful Guardala on display.

Good luck with your search.

·
3,156 Posts
New On Sax said:
thanks
i just talked to the scimonetti folks
think ill head down there
about 50 miles away but sounds like a sweet place

with a name like that i would think they sell pasta or something
Dave, when you go to Scimonetti's, don't forget to take your sax. One of them will give it the once-over and let you know if there are any playing issues with it. I'm told they are very good about things like that and can be trusted to give you an honest appraisal.

Rob

·
14,268 Posts
Saxmanzach: Funny that you'd say that about Baxter-Northrup (about horns). I've always thought they had an interesting selection of mostly vintage saxophones - some new. I have, over the years, bought several saxophones form them (all used) including a straight JK alto, Big B alto, Buescher TH&C alto, Conn Chu alto -all were really fine players.

I still have the two Bueschers and count them among my favorite altos. I won't even get into the mouthpieces I've tested and bought there. DAVE

·
Registered
654 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Horn Improvement is where I go.

Jeff does fantastic work (just got my alto back from repairs about a week ago, as a matter of fact). His turnaround times have always been really good, and he's totally gone out of his way for me when he didn't have to.

My friend Paul Navidad turned me onto them and I've since referred a few pros that have also been very happy with his work.

- Ed

·
Registered
54 Posts
Anybody here who is a beginning/intermediate level jazz alto player on the Westside of L.A.? (Besides me?) If you want to get together sometime and compare notes, let me know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts