Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The neck on my tenor sax is somewhat loose when I tighten it down as far as it will go. Serial number on the neck and body match so that is not the problem. What needs to be done to fix this. Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,945 Posts
It needs to go to a tech to have the tenon expanded.

The good news is that, done well, your horn will respond better.

Have your horn checked for leaks while you're there. I'm betting that it's been a while between checkups.

A healthy horn is a happy horn!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
The tenon needs expanding to fit the socket - you'll have to take the whole instrument to someone with a proper expanding tool to do this so they can fit it to the socket so it's a good wobble-free fit before tightening it with the screw.

The socket screw is only there to tighten the crook so it doesn't move about while playing and it doesn't create the seal when tightened so it's important the expanding is done properly so the crook fits perfectly with the socket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chris and Dr G for your responses. Normally how expensive is it to get this kind of issue fixed. Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
It takes about 15 mins max....shouldnt be more than 20 bucks...

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Normally how expensive is it to get this kind of issue fixed.
It varies depending on who you take it to and how long it takes them to do it depending on how easy a job it is, so you'd have to inquire with whoever does the job as to how much they charge. If it's an easy job then it can take around 15 minutes, but can sometimes take an hour or so if it proves to be tricky and there's a lot to sort out to make it fit properly. Some can be far worse than others, especially if the tenons and insides of the sockets have been silver plated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts