Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Buescher Alto. From about 1927. Then neck is loose on it and cannot be tightened down. Is there any quick fix for this until I can get it to the shop?

thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
A single rap with tape of some kind. Scotch tape even works well for the neck if it's not too thick.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A wrap with teflon tape is a good idea. I also use it if the neck cork is too thin to fit the mouthpiece. Works great!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
Of course, the sooner you get it to the shop, the better. This is a very quick and easy fix for a tech, assuming that's all it needs. My guess is, if the neck is loose there may be some other problems worth fixing.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
That depends how meticulously it is done, and whether the socket is distorted. :)

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
Sometimes that's all it needs (i.e. the neck tightened) and it's not quick and easy. Not often, but sometimes.
When I said 'quick and easy' I should have added the term relatively, and I'm referring to a good tech. I've had loose necks on my horns in the past. Took the horn in, then waited about 15 minutes while the tech did whatever it takes. A minimal charge and I was on my way. If the socket is seriously distorted or the neck seriously bent, then I doubt putting tape on it will help much. My only point is don't mess around. Take the horn in and get it fixed. Assuming you want to play it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts