Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I listen to a lot of Lester Young, James Carter, Ronnie Cuber and King Curtis. As a result, I play alto with a very loose embouchure and quite a bit of bravado which allows for more inflections and also fattens up my tone.

Does anyone else play with a loose embouchure on alto?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Not me. Been trying to make myself loosen up a bit though. Old habits die hard.
Do you find intonation to be a problem?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
I play with a loose embouchure on alto. I almost use as loose an embouchure as I do on tenor. I just voice alto like I would the first or second harmonic on tenor. I get a big alto sound with much more control of intonation and other tone related things.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,205 Posts
I listen to a lot of Lester Young, James Carter, Ronnie Cuber and King Curtis. As a result, I play alto with a very loose embouchure and quite a bit of bravado which allows for more inflections and also fattens up my tone.

Does anyone else play with a loose embouchure on alto?
Bravado? Did you mean to say vibrato?

"Loose" is a relative term when talking about embouchure. My 'loose' may be some one elses' 'tight'.
My alto embouchure is more loose than my clarinet embouchure. But then again it's tight compared to my bari embouchure.

·
Registered
284 Posts
When I'm going for a Stitt type of sound I take in a lot of Mouthpiece and keep it loose. When I'm going for a Cannonball type of sound, I keep it tight and take in less. When I'm a trying a James Carter type of thing I use a loose embouchure with less mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,205 Posts
When I'm going for a Stitt type of sound I take in a lot of Mouthpiece and keep it loose. When I'm going for a Cannombal type of sound, I keep it tight and take in less. When I'm a trying a James Carter type of thing I use a loose embouchure with less mouthpiece.
So.... What do you do when you want to sound like yourself?

·
Registered
284 Posts
All three of those will sound like himself... just leaning toward the vibe from the other players!
Yep, exactly. I feel you have to be a bit flexible in your approach and mindset to find what your looking for on certain tunes or with groups I play with, but I always sound like me. If you do a lot of transcribing you can't help but learn this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm still curious about the acclaimed "bravado" technique.
Does this mean you keep a loose embrochure while swaggering around
the stage in order to emulate the sound and deportment of an impassioned
bull as he enters the "Tercio De Murte" (Death Third) to face the Matador?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts