Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this up last week off of the local Craig's List...ironically, the seller lived about 2 blocks away from me although I did not know him.

It is simply engraved ;Artist' on the bell.

The keywork looks very 'Buescher-like' to me and in general it looks like an Aristocrat. There are a few elements that don't seem to match up to an Aristocrat though.

I am not a Buescher expert at all. I have never owned an Aristocrat before.

Can any of the Buesher-ites out there help me identify this old Alto ?

The serial number is only 5 digits - 27XXX and there is no evidence of a 6th number ever having been there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,813 Posts
That looks much like a Buescher. The G# cluster looks like what was found on the "New Aristocrat" horns; the detailing of the wire on the bell key guards looks like Buescher; amber rollers like B. Probably a Buescher stencil with the body patterned the Aristocrat or an earlier horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,205 Posts
Yep, Buescher built. My experience of Buescher stencils is that they aren't built as well as Buescher branded saxes so I wouldn't pay too much. They do still sound nice though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,993 Posts
Yep, Buescher built. My experience of Buescher stencils is that they aren't built as well as Buescher branded saxes so I wouldn't pay too much. They do still sound nice though.
Mmmmm....but most B stencils are the Elkhart-ish 20A/30A variety.

This one isn't one of those. As Hornlip notes, this has an interesting combo of elements of a higher-shelf horn than those.....

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Spatula is certainly "New Aristocrat". Body tube is probably later Aristocrat (series 1?), since both bell keys are on the left and the somewhat different pants guard on the bell keys has an acorn end contained in it. The remaining keywork has a definite TT series IV look to it.

No question as to its origin, but is is a curious compilation of different vintage parts -- which isn't at all unusual for a stencil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts