Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A New King just arrived from Germany yesterday and boy do I love the sound of it. It has nickle plated keywork and the plastic pants guard, not exactly what I would choose, but it sure does have a great sound with my metal Lelandais super jazz and the key work is acceptable for me. Left Germany on the 19th and arrived in Ohio on the 25th playing well right out of the case. I wish that the typical eBay horn shipped from the US got here that fast. I haven't really researched these, but had a chance to get one for what sounded like a fair price from an acquaintance in Germany and I'm sure glad I pulled the trigger. This one might be a keeper.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Its not whether you win or lose, its how you look playing the game?

Congrats Saints!

I have one of these except in the toneking variation. I haven't really played my aristocrat since I got it. I was having trouble with the intonation above G2 until I swapped to a couf neck and intonation is a lot better, (the neck is the same except for the position of the octave vent). I too really like the sound.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Great horn, Saintsday. I'm becoming a big vintage JK fan lately.

Plant, I'd love to see a picture posted of the two necks side-by-side, so I can compare pip placement.

·
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
abadcliche said:
Great horn, Saintsday. I'm becoming a big vintage JK fan lately.
I may end up joining you in vintage JK fandom.

At the risk of being flamed, I am NOT a fan of black nickle or other non-traditional finishes (big exception for the straight alto on the saxpics calendar), so I've pretty much ignored the modern JK products since when I think of them I think of the Shadow. I know that they are well thought of by a lot of people who I respect, but I just haven't been much interested.

This is the last thing I need: another kind of sax to add pressure to my already frequent GAS explosions.

I plan on taking the NewK to my tech for some tweaks this next week, but it already plays very well in tune and is a perfect match with one of my favorite mouthpieces. The sound is full and resonant throughout the entire range with a bottom end that competes well with my NA and Leblanc system tenors although it is a very different sound.

I need to spend some time searching for more information about old JKs, but if this one is typical, it won't be my only JK.

I'd appreciate opinions about how the altos compare.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have a pretty much same horn with different name on it. It sounds very good and the bottom notes are just too easy to play.

·
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
plant said:
Congrats Saints!

I have one of these except in the toneking variation. I haven't really played my aristocrat since I got it. I was having trouble with the intonation above G2 until I swapped to a couf neck and intonation is a lot better, (the neck is the same except for the position of the octave vent). I too really like the sound.
Plant, if you get a chance, I'd appreciate a measurement from the mpc end to the vent on your necks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The measurement from the centre of the octave vent to the end of the cork end of the mouthpiece is 95mm. (I cut a piece of cable tie to length by placing it adjacent to the centre of the octave vent, followed the contour of the neck and cut it off at the end of the neck. It is not absolutely accurate as the cork stopped the cable tie from completely following the contour of the neck.) The distance from the same spot to the end of the Couf neck is about 2.3mm less.

The length of the necks is the same, (I used a piece of string to measure) but the curve is slightly different.

·
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for taking the time, Plant. I'm curious about Matt's question, too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts