Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I purchased a Kessler Custom Alto. Having played a Vito Alto in high school (sold years ago) I wanted to get back into Alto. I have played a Antigua 586 Sop for several years but needed to add the alto to the line up. Now, I really like my Kessler, especially for the price.

Here is the problem, I had never played a professional Alto until this weekend. I had nothing to compare the Kessler to until I picked up a new Yamaha 62 at the music store. If I am dreaming tell me, but I could not believe the difference in consistency of tone top to bottom, smoothness of action, and the reaaaaaally nice ergonomics. I was simply blown away. Am I wrong or is there really that much difference?

So, I am looking to upgrade! I like the pricing of the Yamaha ($2500 dollar range). I have not played any other pro model so I am open to suggestions. So - what should I consider?

Glenn

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,564 Posts
I know playing as many horns as possible is the conventional wisdom, but if you played that Yamaha 62 and had this response:

"If I am dreaming tell me, but I could not believe the difference in consistency of tone top to bottom, smoothness of action, and the reaaaaaally nice ergonomics. I was simply blown away."

All the things you mention are all the things people are always looking for in a horn. If this sax did all this for you, and it seems like you have the cash, GO FOR IT!

Why spend a lot of time and money playing a bunch of horns that might not be as good FOR YOU. Yamaha makes great saxophones, I don't think you can go wrong.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
A used 62 should run you $1,000 to $1,500 (nearly mint) on E-bay. Look for one with the single piece low Bb and B key guard. Although I understand the 62's are fairly consist. And yes, there is generally a big difference between entry level instruments and professional level instruments - there is also a large price difference.

If you're serious but no yet ready to jump - look for a YAS-52. Decent altos but in the $700 to $900 range. If buying on E-bay, be ready to spend a couple hundred dollars on repairs, pads, etc.... You may also have to buy and sell a few to find one you really like. Good Luck

THIS JUST IN - This could be a decent horn: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...werth-Superba-II-Alto-Saxophone.-CLOSET-QUEEN

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
i would suggest you try a selmer before buying the yamaha... some people do like the yamahas and perhaps you will like it more than the selmer, but if you are going to fork down some cash make sure its what you want.

also as was said above 2500 is really high for a used 62, you can get a really nice solid pro alto for 2500 bucks, a selmer, a yani or an 82z...

i'd say to look for a clean selmer super action 80 but that is just me, try a a bunch and get what you like.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would recommend a Yamaha 62 as well. Very good quality horn, great intonation, key action, etc. It should be a great instrument for you to play on for years.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
Test as many horns but you would not go wrong with the YAS-62. :)
I had that horn since 1994. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought a YAS-62II a few years ago when getting back into the sax after a very LONG layoff, and don't regret it in the least. I like my Yamaha alto so much that I just purchased a YSS-875EXS. If they still made the YSS-62, I would have just purchased one and been done with it. I might someday get another alto (Ref 54, JK), just for some diversity, but I would not sell the 62 even if it got bumped to backup. Having sold many guitars in the past that I only wished I could get back now, I have learned my lesson about getting rid of a keeper just to satisfy my latest case of GAS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts