Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is wanting to sell her old saxophone that she bought in high school from a friend. She never really played it so we thought we should sell it to someone who could use it. After doing a little research we found out that it is a 1971 Yanagisawa A-5 with "Dorado 600" stenciled on it. I have included some pictures of it and would like to get your opinion of how much it is worth and where would be the best place to sell it (ebay, craigslist, local music shop, etc.). As you can see from the pictures, it appears to be in good shape, other than some patina on the bottom. We also had it serviced by a local band instrument technician, who replaced a few pads and tested it out. I am not a sax player myself, so anything I know has been from online research and from asking the local technician.

Yanagisawa (1).jpg

Yanagisawa (3).jpg

Yanagisawa (7).jpg

Yanagisawa (8).jpg

Yanagisawa (9).jpg

I appreciate any information any of you can give on this. Thank you.

·
Banned
8,205 Posts
$1000 maybe if you're lucky. Throw it on eBay with a .99 starting price and if it doesn't get where you want it, end the auction.
Local music store won't give you anything for it, think used car. Craigslist may work in a big city, but it involves footwork.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$1000 maybe if you're lucky. Throw it on eBay with a .99 starting price and if it doesn't get where you want it, end the auction.
Local music store won't give you anything for it, think used car. Craigslist may work in a big city, but it involves footwork.
Thanks for the advice. I live in Charlotte, NC so I have put up an add on Craigslist to see what kind of interest I get. I will shoot for $1000 if I can get it. I was thinking about consignment at the local music shop but they are asking for 30% to sell it on consignment and I figure I can do better on Craigslist, listing it for 15-20% less than they would. I prefer not to use eBay due to the fees, but I may do that if I can't find a buyer on Craigslist.

Thanks again.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,337 Posts
Is this an alto sax?
If so, I doubt that someone is going to give $1000 for a 30+ year old horn with a brand stenciled on it that very few people have ever heard of.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
Well, the thing is 'Dorado' is well-known to be a Yani stencil. So it isn't as obscure as the name might seem.

And that this is an A5 (which was the first which incorporated a modern tilted pinky table) as opposed to an A4, helps you out quite a bit.

I do not think $1g is an outlandish expectation.

I think if you need a quick sale, you will not get $1000...more like $700-800. But if you can be patient a bit, then $900-1000 is a possibility.

But no way on C'list. Fugghedaboudit.

You cannot get market value for any sax on Craigslist. Expect a good 20-25% below market if that is the venue you choose. For musical instruments, C'listers...well.....

bite....basically.

Always trying to lowball or play you. Not very educated on brands and models.

·
Banned
8,205 Posts
These are very good horns. The best copy of a MarkVI that I've found.
Better a 30 year old stencil than a new Yamaha.
Remember that $900 cash in hand is as good as a $1000 EBay sale.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,337 Posts
Well, the thing is 'Dorado' is well-known to be a Yani stencil. So it isn't as obscure as the name might seem.

And that this is an A5 (which was the first which incorporated a modern tilted pinky table) as opposed to an A4, helps you out quite a bit.

I do not think $1g is an outlandish expectation.

I think if you need a quick sale, you will not get $1000...more like $700-800. But if you can be patient a bit, then $900-1000 is a possibility.

But no way on C'list. Fugghedaboudit.

You cannot get market value for any sax on Craigslist. Expect a good 20-25% below market if that is the venue you choose. For musical instruments, C'listers...well.....

bite....basically.

Always trying to lowball or play you. Not very educated on brands and models.
For the 'Uneducated' just entering the sax playing world, "Dorado" is an unknown entity. They know nothing about stencils, cheap horns made by fly by night companies that change their label every year, or inexpensive horns that actually play reasonably well.
If it doesn't have a 'BIG NAME' on the bell most parents of students, or beginning adults, will pass it up for something that the band director or teacher at the music store recommends. Trying to explain a stencil will sound like a line of bull to some who choose to remain ignorant.
Not trying to be mean, just letting the OP know what they may be up against while trying to sell this horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
I agree with you wholeheartedly, 'Mommy. This is why this particular stencil brand can actually end up being a nice steal for someone. Most people are still unfamiliar with the common Yani stencil names.

On eFlay, they are more familiar with them and no longer do these go under the radar often. Sometimes, yes, but not as often as say, 2 years ago. A fair number of people have "Dorado Saxophone" as a saved search nowadays, it seems.

But Craigslist ? People might not glean the significance, even if the seller notes what it obviously is.

Nevertheless, it's an A5 and it looks to be in really nice shape...so $1000 isn't an unfair price to pay by any means.

I mean, an A6 can fetch around $1200, or an old 900 or Prima model about $1200-1300...so the A5 at $900-1000 still seems about right.

IMHO A5's and A6's are decent-to-good models, not quite as good as the 900's which came after 'em, but still solid horns and their quality of engineering and build is just really excellent.

It is the A4 which is significantly worth less, as these were still caught between a 60's and 80's sorta design spec, and honestly are not anything to write home about (other than being an older Yani). Thus they only fetch around $500-600 tops.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just wanted to provide an update and say thank you to those who provided helpful advice. I just sold this horn to someone on Craigslist. I had it listed for one week at $1100, hoping to get $1000 for it. We did get $1000 for it and the young man, who had researched it very thoroughly, seemed very happy to have found a pro-level horn like this in his price range. Thanks everyone for the information.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
77 Posts
The only way to get 'market value' on any sax is to have your own well-known website, OR your own brick and mortar music store. Whether you sell on Craigslist, or Ebay or any other site, you're never going to get 'market value.' The thing that makes a successful sale is when both buyer and seller feel like they got a really good bargain.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,885 Posts
The only way to get 'market value' on any sax is to have your own well-known website, OR your own brick and mortar music store. Whether you sell on Craigslist, or Ebay or any other site, you're never going to get 'market value.' The thing that makes a successful sale is when both buyer and seller feel like they got a really good bargain.
The OP sold the horn in question, and received market value.

Never say "never". :twisted:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts