Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody recommend a tech to reface my Meyer (rubber) alto mouthpiece. Ideally in central Virginia, but I will send it away if necessary.

·
Premium Member
15,496 Posts
I have seen almost everybody’s refacing work, firsthand.
If you want someone in the states that does excellent work, you have several choices.

Here are a few in no particular order.
There are others, but you will be all set with one of these guys:

Erik Greiffenhagen
Brian Powell
Mojo
James Bunte
Jimmy Jensen
Joe Giardullo
Norbert Stachel
Adam Niewood
Matt Marantz
Marin Spivak
Etc.....

Their price ranges will vary greatly as will their turnaround times.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
May I ask, what is the reasoning for prefering someone in VA? Were you hoping to have a play & tweak session with the re-facer? I'm sure some re-facers do that, but it isn't really the norm. These days, that is probably reserved more for name brand players and personal friends of the re-facer. Not to say that you couldn't get many re-facers to agree to that...for a price. I would imagine that you'd be paying at least twice as much, considering the extra time they'd be sitting there while you play the mpc.

Unless you are looking for really specific adjustments, you probably don't need such personal attention. I personally think it would be difficult to even make the call on what I want changed after only a few minutes of playing...I'd much rather tell a trusted re-facer what I want, have them use their judgement and experience to accomplish that as they see fit, then spend some real time playing it before determining whether or not it needs further tweaking. Most of the GOOD re-facers today have it down to a real science, so the need for constant back and forth isn't as necessary. I'd suggest that you are a lot better off sending your piece to one of the good/known ones, than to select someone of questionable experience just because they are local...there really aren't that many people out there that do this work really well. Most repair techs don't do it at all.

As for specific suggestions...you can never really go wrong with "The Mouthpiece Guys" (google that name). Erik Grieffenhagen and Brian powell are two of the best in the business. I don't think anyone would dispute that. Ask them about wait times if that is an issue...sometimes it can be long, although the last few pieces I sent to Erik came back very quickly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well, my question is what are you trying to accomplish with having it refaced? Is it vintage? If not, if it's a modern Meyer why not just try some new Meyer's with different facings. I could be wrong (you'll have to ask my wife) but I would think a refacing job would cost more than a new Meyer. Also, what if the refacing doesn't help you achieve what your after? As far as I'm concerned, the basic attributes such as, tip opening, baffle, and chamber are only about 50 percent of what makes up your sound. The rest has to come from you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. My only previous experience with refacing was with the late Claude Humber, who I visited in person. His charge was considerably less than the cost of a new mp.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Erik Greiffenhagen
Brian Powell
Mojo
James Bunte
Jimmy Jensen
Joe Giardullo
Norbert Stachel
Adam Niewood
Matt Marantz
Marin Spivak
Etc
All of these guys are great. Sebastian Knox does some of the most consistent work I’ve ever played. You can guarantee you’ll get the piece back playing the best it can.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I too have heard great things about everyone listed, and can personally attest to the quality of Mojo's and Erik Greiffenhagen's work.

Don't forget about Sakshama though! He is a little pricier than most, but I have nothing but good things to say about every dealing I've ever had with him.

·
Registered
271 Posts
+1 for Erik Greiffenhagen. I got a real deal on a NY Meyer 4 for Alto and he opened it to a 5. Plays like a dream top to bottom.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Last I checked these two were in northern VA. They did competent mouthpiece clean up work for me:

Zulfuguar Baghirov
David Spiegethal

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Can anybody recommend a tech to reface my Meyer (rubber) alto mouthpiece. Ideally in central Virginia, but I will send it away if necessary.
If it's your main mouthpiece, don't work on it even if it's not perfect. It's a reference point which you use to measure other mouthpieces by and any good refacer won't touch it. Also, the facings on Meyer's re good, it may need chamber work. Phil Barone

1 - 20 of 22 Posts