Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 20 years ago I lived in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. They had a small but nonetheless active local Jazz scene with mostly American Jazz musician expats. It was a rather rare and delightful find as SMA is a small town in the middle of Mexico. I believe the club was Tio Lucas, you could hear Jazz 7 nights a week. Don't know what it's like now but it got me thinking about moving to another country, a city or town where Jazz still thrives. Anyone with with any input? Recommendations? I live in Canada and I'm looking to spend my later years somewhere else, playing Jazz and hopefully afford a better quality of life.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I live in Chiang Mai, Thailand, which has a pretty good music scene, especially for its size. There are 2 universities with music departments, pumping out musos every year, and jazz has become more popular in recent years. North Gate is the place that promotes itself as a jazz venue, but there's very little "real" jazz there (the music is good, just not really jazz), but there are other places around town with standards bands e.g. Thapae East, The Mellowship, Moment's Notice. Bangkok is good as well, but is a far less pleasant place to be. Chiang Mai is a very popular option for retirees. There are venues in Saigon and Hanoi, but I don't these places as well, so can't really comment on what their scenes are like. I also spent a few months in Nepal last year, and am looking to get back there for a short trip soon. It's more of a rock scene (and not a bad one, either), but there is a jazz conservatory there, so there must be people playing it, and it's still the kind of place where they would very much appreciate foreigners coming in and providing the benefit of their experience.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Cool I lived in Chiang Mai back in the early 90's. You may want to check out the Thailand International Jazz Conference Held every year in January. It is 3 days of Jazz Music , work Shops. Music runs from about 10:30 a.m. til 11:00 P.M. Jazz artist from all over the World. It is held at College of Music ,Mahidol University , Salaya. Just outside of Bangkok. I went the first 5 years. Well worth the Visit.Can see a lot of videos on you tube .Also Koh Mr.saxman help start the Thailand International Jazz Festival in Chaing Rai, Thailand

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's nothing wrong with the Toronto jazz scene.
For Canada, maybe. I lived in Toronto and was part of the Jazz scene there once. I watched as one Jazz club after another closed down. Really sad. Even the Jazz festival is a mix of other genres.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,886 Posts
Cuba! :)

The country is , yes, poor ( but not miserable!) but very proud and the people, despite the difficulties, are incredible and many foreigners appreciate their privileged position there ( which allows you to overcome many of the daily problems which the locals may have and you may found too difficult to live with).

Go there at least for a month and experience the incredible charm of living, yes, a simpler life but away from all the hustle and bustle of life as you know it. It will allow you to reset your clock to “ Being someone” rather than “ Having things” .

Also consider the fact that it is rather close to “ home” and you can always go back to Canada for the things that are difficult in Cuba.

There are so many Canadians already there (I’ve been a couple of times and it is one of the favorite holiday site for your countrymen they are everywhere ) music ( Jazz or otherwise) is literally anywhere.

read this

https://jazzcuba.com

“...If Cuba were the only country in the world, earth would be known as the music planet....."

Look into Santiago rather than Havana

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/santiago-de-cuba

https://www.internations.org/cuba-expats/canadians
https://www.expatfocus.com/cuba/living/ten-things-to-think-about-when-retiring-to-cuba-2438

Iris jazz club

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I'd shoot for Paris. There are about thirty jazz clubs in the Paris Metro area. My wife and I have visited the city 4 times during the past six years. There's also fierce competition.
Rome would be my next choice.

One barrier might be language, but nowadays, many, many people speak English, so you'll manage and probably pick up the language if you studied any romance language in school.

The biggest barrier in both cities will be cost of living (rent and real estate!) unless you move out of the city and have a second job. Even then, there will always be difficulties when you move to another culture. It may turn out to be the most exciting thing you've ever done ( if you don't speak the language, you can expect much excitement and and many surprises).

Go for it.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Heck, I'd move to Paris in a flash. In fact, I just might. Or maybe Spain, which is warmer. What's the scene like in the Costa del Sol?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I have no idea about the music scene, but I've heard that Pedasi, Panama is a great place to live with a pension- very inexpensive oceanfront and chronic summer- you could start a music scene...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Cuba! :)

The country is , yes, poor ( but not miserable!) but very proud and the people, despite the difficulties, are incredible and many foreigners appreciate their privileged position there ( which allows you to overcome many of the daily problems which the locals may have and you may found too difficult to live with).

Go there at least for a month and experience the incredible charm of living, yes, a simpler life but away from all the hustle and bustle of life as you know it. It will allow you to reset your clock to “ Being someone” rather than “ Having things” .

Also consider the fact that it is rather close to “ home” and you can always go back to Canada for the things that are difficult in Cuba.

There are so many Canadians already there (I’ve been a couple of times and it is one of the favorite holiday site for your countrymen they are everywhere ) music ( Jazz or otherwise) is literally anywhere.

read this

https://jazzcuba.com

“...If Cuba were the only country in the world, earth would be known as the music planet....."

Look into Santiago rather than Havana

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/santiago-de-cuba

https://www.internations.org/cuba-expats/canadians
https://www.expatfocus.com/cuba/living/ten-things-to-think-about-when-retiring-to-cuba-2438

Iris jazz club

I've been to Cuba a couple of times. The music scene there is great. We have a few Cuban expat musicians here in Toronto.

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
I used to go to Venezuela in the 80’s and thought about moving there.
Beautiful place and drop dead gorgeous women.
I changed my mind when I was on the phone with a friend who lived there and there was a riot going on I could hear over the phone.
I’d pick Rome just because I love going there or Spain for the weather. You can buy a home you have to rehab for one euro in Italy.
Another place I loved to travel in was Colombia. Beautiful country. Great food and friendly people. There are some very good musicians there and a college in Medellin, yeah I know, with a jazz program. Your dollar goes a long way there.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I go to Sri Lanka during the winter. Beautiful tropical island, warm people and the living is not expensive. Jazz scene is non existent. I take my horn and practice every day by the beach.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Definitely want to visit Cuba at some point. Sounds like my experience in Mexico 20 years ago. I'd actually was wanting to go back to Mexico but I'm just hearing too many bad stories about the cartels. Thought about places like Copenhagen and Amsterdam, cost of living would be a factor though. Probably be a good idea to do a little traveling and see what's what. I do know I want to be able to hook up with other musicians and be able to play somewhat regularly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,023 Posts
... Or maybe Spain, which is warmer. What's the scene like in the Costa del Sol?
Consider Spain. Contact Jazz Is All on this forum. He lives in Barcelona most of the year.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
I dont know if it is still true but Berlin was a center for a lot of musical and cutting edge activity for a long time. Its easier to travel around parts of Europe than the US and Canada simply due to the size difference. You can hit a lot of variety in culture in a days drive (as well as bus or train) depending on where you locate yourself. You can catch cheap in continnent flights for quite cheap too for longer trips.

·
38,886 Posts
after having being exploited by property developers the gentrification of Berlin (as well as most European cities ) has had an effect on the city not unlike NYC. Tre process is driving out the artists and ushering in the people whom have lots of money and maybe go there only occasionally.

Similarly in Amsterdam. Finding authenticity these days is a serious problem. I can only see waves of tourists using a city which is now so expensive that most of us cannot live there anymore ( aside the few whom have bought property years ago or rent from the housing corporations of the council).

My son ( with a good job, has been looking for a place in Amsterdam where he lived before and paid €800 a month, now in and far around the place you need between €1300 to €2000 a month. This is getting crazy!

https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/the-causes-and-consequences-of-berlins-rapid-gentrification

From the author of the article above ^

“...As a foreigner in Berlin, I know I am disturbing a delicate ecosystem, and I rely on my boyfriend, who is German, to negotiate a fair rent. I try to keep my footprint small, to shop at neighborhood businesses. My life and my work have brought me here, and that, in itself, cannot be malicious. But I am part of this globalized economy that Guilluy describes, part of what he calls the “cool bourgeoisie” (others have called it the “aspirational class”), which is largely progressive and therefore, in contrast to the traditional bourgeoisie, often unwilling to acknowledge its rank in a social hierarchy—or even that one exists....."

I'd actually was wanting to go back to Mexico but I'm just hearing too many bad stories about the cartels.
Well Mexico, is not as bad as people depict it, especially far away from the North.

I’ve visited this June and met several expats which love it and told me that the image is highly tainted but not necessarily true everywhere

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,023 Posts
My son ( with a good job, has been looking for a place in Amsterdam where he lived before and paid €800 a month, now in and far around the place you need between €1300 to €2000 a month. This is getting crazy!
This is happening all over the world. In San Francisco, the median rent for a 1 bedroom apartment is $3530 and for a 2 bedroom apartment it's $4670 a month.

Well Mexico, is not as bad as people depict it, especially far away from the North.

I’ve visited this June and met several expats which love it and told me that the image is highly tainted but not necessarily true everywhere
Correctamundo. Mexican Riviera is more touristy but not cartel-infested. And there are cities inland that are peaceful. Lots of expats are in Costa Rica where the cartels are non-existent. But the OP was looking for some place with a jazz scene. I don't know of any in Mexico or Costa Rica. There may be some, that's not something I know anything about.

·
38,886 Posts
....But the OP was looking for some place with a jazz scene. I don't know of any in Mexico or Costa Rica. There may be some, that's not something I know anything about.
Which is the reason for me to advise Cuba a country saturated with music, incredible musicians and JAZZ

As for Costa Rica being that idyllic .... I don’t know:whistle:

https://www.businessinsider.nl/cost...-record-levels-2018-1?international=true&r=US
https://news.co.cr/costa-rica-become-hub-drug-cartels/68740/
https://news.co.cr/drug-cartels-spike-murder-rate-in-costa-rica/80364/

By the way, wages there must be incredibly high if a single can afford paying THAT much!:yikes!: in excess of $3000 a month for one bedroom in an apartment block? AMAZING.......this makes Amsterdam .......CHEAP!:soapbox::mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts