Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owned a Yamaha YTS-23 for about 8 years (played on and off throughout those years). Over the final year the horn was with me I was really getting into playing all the time, with a variety of people, playing rock, blues, jazz, some modern/contemporary, just about everything really. My mouthpiece was a Selmer c*S80 which I was not satisfied with. Anyways the horn was left in my car one night about a year and a half ago and the car was stolen (along with a djembe in the back seat), and that was then end of my saxophone playing days.. Anyways I have been anxious for another horn, and my "default" upgrade was a used YTS-62... Does anyone have any comments on this, perhaps used horns in a similar price range (the most I want to spend is $2000). I have considered a Phil Barone, Kessler, Yanagisawa, but really don't know much about these selections. I want a sax that is very versatile across various playing styles. I would like a fat and funky tone when I need it, and a soft smooth and beautiful tone when I need to ring out some notes with gentle emotion. In the next couple weeks I'll be looking for a local shop where i can actually play some quality horns side by side. Any tips and advice would be awesome. Thank you! :treble:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Why not overhaul the Yamaha, spend half of what you saved on wine, women and song, and squander the rest foolishly.
Seriously the Yammy would be hard to beat for the price and can probably be made right reasonably.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
He doesn't own ANY sax at the moment! That said, he can pick up a YTS 52 or 62 relatively cheaply, and if he knows what to look for, one that needs just a little bit of work may cost him less (even after repairs).

·
Registered
591 Posts
For a new horn I believe the choices you mentioned are great.
For vintage horns you could get a great King Zephyr with no problem, a "The Martin" would also be in range, and maybe even a good Conn 10M. BUT the big dady of Tenors a Conn Chu Berry may be the best option. Even Buescher Horns can be had for that price.

Sorry for the big selection, but you should really consider all of this. Maybe even another mouthpiece than a Selmer C*...

·
Registered
215 Posts
+1 for a Barone I have a Classic and saving for a Vintage model now. Hopefully within the week.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
My preference: H. Couf Superba I or II. With a $2000 budget, the I is just outside of range (on average) and the II is just in (they can be had for much less though if you look!).

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,594 Posts
Fat and funky... soft and smooth...

You really should give a few vintage Martin tenors a blow. With the right set up they sound oh so sexy.... :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
You can easily get a Yamaha 62 for that kind of scratch. Maybe a used 82z or Yanagisawa 99x. They would be the most like (familiarity) what you already owned yet quite an improvement.

I think the Yanagisawa has a nicer tone in general, but is less malleable -- tougher to manipulate. The Yamahas have nicer keywork and a more accessible tonal palette.

If you got $2000 to spend, don't blow it on a new Taiwanese horn -- they're a dime a dozen in the used market. I can't even give mine away and they're great playing horns!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
A 62 would be a great horn. I have owned the 23,62 and 82Z , all great saxes. I currently play Saxgourmet horns and would recommend their newest model now in stock. The Voodoo Master tenor is $2000, has a bright copper plate finish that is incredible and features other horns in this price range do not have. I have bought personally from Steve and had never had a problem.

I live just about 1 1/2 hours away in Sebring if you want to try out my personal saxes and see the finish up close. I also own a Barone so you can compare the two.
You can read more about them at:
www.nationofmusic.com

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
He doesn't own ANY sax at the moment! That said, he can pick up a YTS 52 or 62 relatively cheaply, and if he knows what to look for, one that needs just a little bit of work may cost him less (even after repairs).
You're right. I totally brain farted. Still, if he goes with your suggestion he should still have some squandering change.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.