Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just recently bought a 1913 buffet and 1958 conn tenor saxes. both have left side bell keys. so no modern case works. i am looking to purchase 2 coffin cases so if you have one or have found one then let me know. looking for any condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
modern cases do work, protec XL are made to fit these horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
My Selmer Super has left side bell keys and fits nicely in a Walt Johnson case.
Will also fit in an SKB rectangular or contoured case.
And of course a Protec case.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Also the SKB "Pro" case (whatever they're calling it this week) which has a nylon pocket on the outside and both a neck slot and mouthpiece slot on the inside, is a perfect fit for my Conn 10M - it will surely fit your Conn and is likely to fit your Buffet.

The problem with the old cases is that they typically do not cradle or constrain the horn very well, allowing it to rattle around way too much. If you just want the "vintage" exterior look, you can rip the whole insides out and re-do, but if you just want a protective case for short money and right now, buy one of the alternatives people have listed here.

Cases are one area where "vintage" is not really any better, most of the time. And that "vintage" smell! When I bought my baritone, I don't know exactly its history, but I am positive that beer and cigarettes were involved. Basically the only thing holding the case together was the decades of accumulated cigarette smoke condensation and congealed beer vapor. Phew!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ouch. and yeah from some of the istings that i have seen for the vintage cases, they have alot of extra space where the body of the instrument goes and it does look like that the instrument would have some freedom to move around a little

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
modern cases do work, protec XL are made to fit these horns.
Ditto that. Good cases at a good price. I can't speak for the rest of the Protec line, but the Contour XL is good kit. I fell down on mine in a dark room, and while it almost broke my leg, the instrument suffered no injury...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts