Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help me out here.

I'd really like to not only try a Forbes mouthpiece for myself, but also grab some Debuts for my advancing students.

But here's the dilemma:

The local retailers want AUD $99 for the Debut and AUD $450 for the pro models.

Considering the $AUD is high against the $USD at the moment, I reckon that with the Debut retailing in the USA for around $40 even paying shipping from the US it might be cheaper to buy online rather than locally.

That said, I have no idea which of the American online suppliers of Clark Forbes mouthpieces are currently going out of business, having troubles shipping orders, etc, etc.

If anyone can suggest a reliable online mob with a good track record, I'd be very grateful.

DP

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
If you haven't seen this web page already http://www.clarkwfobes.com/wheretobuy.html

I play a Fobes mouthpiece. I spoke with him a few times and he was always nice so worth asking like Michael said. I bought a Fobes mouthpiece from WW&BW though I bought it there, not by mail. But I bought from them a lot of times and don't remember I ever had a problem. Make sure to see that what you are ordering says "in stock". I also bought from Weiner Music and from Muncy Winds, always no problems and would recommend those too. Their websites I think are not as nice so I would want to email/call first to see if what I want is in stock.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,828 Posts
Howarths in London
good suggestion, but the pound£ is much more expensive than USD or AUD, i bought a debut from howarths and although it was 40£ that equates to 70$ US,shipping plenty would not be cheap i would of thought!

·
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good suggestion, but the pound£ is much more expensive than USD or AUD, i bought a debut from howarths and although it was 40£ that equates to 70$ US,shipping plenty would not be cheap i would of thought!
You're right there. No one in their right mind buys anything from the UK if they can help it. Especially with the AUD being so strong against the USD.

I emailed Clark this evening and my main issue, as I pointed out to Clark was that the Debut, in my understanding was designed and intended to be an affordable yet quality mouthpiece for students.

Unfortunately, the retailers here, seeing the esteem in which Clark's top of the range pieces are held, are charging boutique prices for the Debut and pricing them out of reach of students. 150% mark up and more over the US retail price.

We're used to getting shafted on musical instruments and accessories down here. It's always been the case. But now it's getting beyond a joke.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had very positive experiences dealing with Weiner music and also Muncy
Weiner seems to keep a good stock of Fobes mouthpieces and I had no problems recently with them sending me three to try and promptly providing a refund when I returned them (this was also an international transaction)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Muncy and Weiner are both great vendors. Woodwind/Brasswind often has the best price and can be OK, but be sure they have the unit in stock before you order. My wife's been waiting since early March on an English Horn reed, which is similar to backorder problems I've had in the past.

·
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhh the dreaded backorder.

Did someone say 40.0 mm saxophone pads???

Hopefully I'll hear back from Clark soon. I'm going to talk to my boss and suggest he try to set up a dealership arrangement with Clark so that the kids can get these pieces without a massive retail markup.

·
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I heard back from Clark and he is, in his own words, SHOCKED that the retailers here are selling the Debut at such a mark up. I'm gonna talk my boss into working out some kind of relationship with Clark so we can order direct. Nice bloke and prompt reply to my email. Class act.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,998 Posts
I heard back from Clark and he is, in his own words, SHOCKED that the retailers here are selling the Debut at such a mark up. I'm gonna talk my boss into working out some kind of relationship with Clark so we can order direct. Nice bloke and prompt reply to my email. Class act.
It's not just the Debut..... the markup on the other models is massive here.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
I've got a mint 2L I will sell you Aussies. I just got Clark's Jazz model this morning from Clark. I buy stuff from Howarth all the time. It's an excellent shop and nice to visit.. they don't carry the Jazz though. Chiltern Street is an expensive part of town . rent..staff..VAT..it all adds up. I think Howarth are quite reasonable and all the staff are musicians and good blokes/ blokesses .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts