Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from them and had it shipped overseas. I bought my VI sight unseen and was lucky ten years ago that I liked it. When I got my Yani A992 I must have tried fifteen different horns to find one I liked. Has anyone ordered from this shop in the UK? Good experience? They seem very honest and knowledgeable from email correspondence. Has anyone stateside ordered gear from the UK? Is there a duty tax of any kind?

Lastly, is buying from overseas to get the UL worth it compared to going to say USA Horn or WWBW and just getting the regular T992? Sorry for all the questions and I do appreciate the help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Re: Looking to buy a Yani T992-UL from sax.co.uk, hoping to get some insight from anyone who has bou

Buy what you want to buy, don't compromise; otherwise you will constantly be wondering what 'coulda' been. Not many unlacquered T992s around these parts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Looking to buy a Yani T992-UL from sax.co.uk, hoping to get some insight from anyone who has bou

Heywood, I think you're right, but the no return policy scares the heck out of me. I don't want to be stuck with two expensive horns when I only need one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts

If you don't like okra, then don't order okra.

I have two great tenors right now, one of them being a Yanagisawa. Two isn't such a bad thing especially if one of them is a VI. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,687 Posts

When I got my Yani A992 I must have tried fifteen different horns to find one I liked.
Based on YOUR experience, I'd say that buying a horn from overseas is a poor idea. Let's see, international shipping (each way) approximately $120, 15 trials... You just bought a horn with all the money going toward shipping returns.

On the other hand, if you BELIEVE that all Yanagisawas are good and just need a good set up to be great, go for it and budget for a set up.

G'luck.

FWIW, I believe in getting a horn with a finish on it - prefer silver plate.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks Dr. G. I bought the Alto in New York, so I just drove the sales people a little crazy, no shipping involved :) You have a good point as I'm not sure I "believe" all Yanagisawas are good as I have only played one of their tenors which I enjoyed, but am not sure I trust my memory for a $5000 bill. Maybe I'll just stick my VI and live with its sharp E's and flat B's as overall it is a great sounding horn. The alto just feels so good, I wouldn't mind having the same with the tenor. Thanks again for the input. My neurotic journey continues. Normally its just with mouthpieces, but once ever five years or so, I get an itch for a horn. Ah, this is the life :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,687 Posts

You seem a good candidate for another road trip. If I were in your region, I'd consider a drive to Tenor Madness in Waterloo, IA.

Maps.google.com says it's only 8 hours each way! :evil:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

They did an overhaul on a horn for me about eight years ago. Great work! I may need to take a couple of weeks and road trip to all the saxophone shops in the Midwest :)

·
Registered
218 Posts

I bought a T992 from sax.co.uk, although I didn't ship it overseas. I have no business connection from them whatsoever, but I have found them excellent to deal with. A very fine establishment, and if you are lucky enough to be able to visit them, they have the widest range of saxes I've ever seen. Whether you would want to ship a sax from anywhere in Europe is up to you, but I would never, ever buy a new one from the States, purely due to the import duties - it's just not economic. However good the stock, service and prices in the US, it's just not worth it. Dunno if it's the same the other way round. On the other hand, I'd be happy to buy from elsewhere in Europe. After all, most European countries are nearer to me than the distance from the East coast to the West of the US.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Sax.co.UK are good folks, but I don't think you should ever buy a horn without trying it.. Saying that vintage horns can be hard to get access to, but current production horns should be easy to find and test.. Re Yani's they make great horns, and the setup is usually really good.. I didn't know they did an unlaquered version.. Hmm interesting!

·
Registered
270 Posts

I once tested one A992UL in a shop. I was the first one to open the box and remove all the cork wedges etc. The neck didn't tighten properly and there seemed to be a leak somewhere as the low notes didn't speak properly.
Just saying that even a Yanagisawa (same as anything else I guess) can be less than perfect out of the box.
Would have been unplesant surprise if it had been a mail order horn.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts

Dave Kessler has the best prices on Yanigisawa and beats sax co uk by a mile. I've ordered 3 yanis through Dave the T992 being one of them. I did a lot of research. Dave is a great guy to deal with. And he's in Las Vegas. You won't find a better new price than his.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts

One more thing. Dave Kessler's price includes a full pro' set up. That's a pretty unbeatable combination of the lowest prices anywhere (please correct me if I'm wrong....and remember that you need to contact Dave for his best prices) plus a pro set up and a great guy to deal with....

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts

Amazing choice and top guys.They will give you 110% what ever they sell you.I live in the UK so not shipped overseas with them but bought plenty of other gear from them and there 1st class.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts

Your in the States so I would chose by mail order either Tenor Madness, or Kessler Music. I bought an Reference 54 alto from Dave and it came perfectly set-up and is my favorite horn ever. I bought a mouthpiece from Tenor Madness and it came packed so well it's ridiculous, the mouthpiece didn't move in the Mouthpiece box, and there was so much bubble wrap surrounding it too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts