Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hvae been playing the alto sax for a couple of years now and my son has been learning to play for a few months.

I originally purchased a gold coloured sax for myself to play and obviously it is the first one I have brought so I don't know very much about of makes etc. and I would like to ask a couple of questions.

Which in your opinion is the best to go for - gold coloured, silver coloured, or the different coloured ones such as red, blue etc.

Is it true that different makes have different sounding tones, and if so which are the makes that have the best sounding tones.

I am looking to either buy a new sax for myself and pass my old one on to my son for xmas or to buy him a new sax for xmas and for myself to keep the one I've got - which do you think would be best to do?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,035 Posts
The color has nothing to do with quality. For under $1,000 a Yamaha is a good choice, over $2,000 get a Yanagisawa. Better yet, buy a vintage pro horn.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts
Different makes have different sounds, but not very different. The colour or finish has no effect on the sound. The best sound is the sound you like the best, there is no "objective" best sound.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
batonstar - there really is a lot of information about your questions that have been discussed in detail. No doubt some will (have) comment here on your thread but to supplement the answers you will get here, you can also take some time to read through the forum threads.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I think it worth adding that the standard finish is lacquer. If you want to stand out when you are learning, you will do - and very noticeably so! I would advise keeping to the standard, though.

As for make, the safe play is to go for an intermediate sax. If you are in the US, many people would recommend Kesslers, who advertise here, for advice. If outside the US, ask again.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
gary said:
batonstar - there really is a lot of information about your questions that have been discussed in detail. No doubt some will (have) comment here on your thread but to supplement the answers you will get here, you can also take some time to read through the forum threads.
Wow Gary, that was so diplomatic! :D

Honestly, this is one hackneyed topic indeed. A look through the Advice On Buying archive will likely produce just about every answer conceivable for this inquiry.

Many have gone before you in the quest for a suitable horn, and shared their questions and concerns along the way. Many answers can be found there too.

Congratulations to you and your son for taking up the saxophone!

Cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts