1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for decent quality altos for around $1000

I've found a

Kessler Custom Deluxe Black $999
Buffet Crampon 400 Series $1299.99
L.A Sax Bad Aax Big Lip $1395
Jupiter 2069GL XO $1450

Which is the best in your opinion? If you don't like any of them could you recommend one you think is better?

Thanks,
Austin

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Great advice Thad,
Also check out ads from sotw members in the horns for sale area. I have a SML alto for what that jupiter will cost, and an sml kills any jupiter. If you want a new horn, check out Bauhuas Walstein or Barone if you want bang for your buck.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'm leaning toward either a Kessler Custom Deluxe Black & Silver for $1099 or a Phil Barone Classic Alto Black Nickel for $1425. What's the sound difference?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im in a school band so I'm not sure what my band director's would think if I showed up with like a 1950s Beuscher Aristocrat.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I think I'm leaning toward either a Kessler Custom Deluxe Black & Silver for $1099 or a Phil Barone Classic Alto Black Nickel for $1425. What's the sound difference?
Barone is the better horn by far. There are plenty of reviews around SOTW discussing the Barone saxophones. I own a Classic Alto and it is a monster player. I have had it for about a year and half and it is still leak-free and tight.

I own a Kessler Deluxe Black & Silver Tenor. It is a nice saxophone, but not anywhere as good as my Barone Vintage or the Classic I play-tested @ Phil's. It is definitely brighter. It feels and plays much like a Selmer Super Action 80 Serie II. Dave Kessler told me it is essentially a SA80II with a III neck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Dont discount the Jupiter JAS 2069. Dual necks and the MP included isnt too mad either. I love the one I have. Great sound and ergos. If I could have got my mits on a barone to play test, i may have gone that way.
Best advise is to try and play all of the saxes listed here. Make your decision based on what you hear when you play.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Try a vintage Chu Berry. I think the Chu's are the most under rated sax out there. Great sound, superb intonation and good mechanism, especially if you have big hands like me.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I probably have one of the smallest hands in the world so the Chu probably wouldn't work and I'm not really looking for a vintage horn

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also my friend has a Buffet Crampon 400 Series and he seems to like it a lot. How would it compare to a Barone Classic?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also recently saw a manufacturer called MacSax. Most of the reviews are good and both the Magnum and The Classic are in my price range. How would that compare to a Barone?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also recently saw a manufacturer called MacSax. Most of the reviews are good and both the Magnum and The Classic are in my price range. How would that compare to a Barone?
I tried some of the MacSax horns recently at a conference and was very impressed with them. For the price, I can't think of any better horns in their price range. I'm very tempted to get one as a backup horn.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts