Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

A number of years ago, after I had put together http://www.shopsaxophones.com, I had asked for help from the SOTW community to find any mistakes/typos/incorrect info, and any stuff that wasn't intuitive to use. As I'm just one guy, it was a HUGE help, and the feedback that SOTW members gave me really helped me catch a bunch of details that I had missed.

This past year (with a small web team) we've put effort into revamping the Schmitt Music Sax Shop's website to bring it to the next level. I think it's coming along really nicely, but I would love any and all SOTW member's feedback before we go live. Because your feedback is so valuable, we have made coupon codes for anyone willing to check out the site. We are offering codes that give 10 percent off ANY instrument, or 20 percent off any mouthpiece/reeds/music. Please expect that there might be a few bugs or glitches, and please let me know what you find at [email protected]. Or just reply to this thread, as I'll be keeping an eye on it.

The site: Click here!
The beta code: tone
Promo code for instruments: BETA10
Promo code for other purchases: BETA20

Thank you so much in advance for checking it out!

Dave

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
Yes, I gave up it is so slow.

I would just make it simple, load fast and forget the moving around stuff that impresses nobody apart from the developers who think their cleverness is more important than your sales and site useability.

Pictures are not optimised for fast loading, e.g. the pic of Pharoah Sanders is 1.4MB - total waste of bandwidth.

Sorry.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Clarinet mouthpieces section. Missing technical description as tip opening, chamber etc. Description has only nothing to say words, also comparing mouthpieces displays the same info. Also noticed, that Vandoren Black Diamond has description of B40.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed this too, and am working with people to get this fixed. Thanks so much for the feedback Steve!

The website load time is ridiculously slow. Over 5 seconds to load the home page both times I clicked on it. That is the first thing I would address as no one will want to go to it. Test what plugins are slowing it down and maybe get a caching plugin to speed it up. Steve

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't be sorry, it's a big issue, and you're exactly right. Our "test" site that was shown to me didn't have these speed issues, and this is the kind of feedback I need to take back to them.

I really appreciate your thoughts, especially about the optimization.

Yes, I gave up it is so slow.

I would just make it simple, load fast and forget the moving around stuff that impresses nobody apart from the developers who think their cleverness is more important than your sales and site useability.

Pictures are not optimised for fast loading, e.g. the pic of Pharoah Sanders is 1.4MB - total waste of bandwidth.

Sorry.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! I will look into this!

Clarinet mouthpieces section. Missing technical description as tip opening, chamber etc. Description has only nothing to say words, also comparing mouthpieces displays the same info. Also noticed, that Vandoren Black Diamond has description of B40.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The image resources are indeed WAY too large... not sure whether the web site correctly supports compression. To have reasonable page load time, my rule of thumb is to keep the total size (cumulative) of all resources combined below 500 kB. Lower is better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
466 Posts
Did I miss it on the web site; no phone numbers to call for contact? An immediate deal-breaker for me. Without a phone contact I can not take the vendor or business seriously.

Paul Cohen

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
Did I miss it on the web site; no phone numbers to call for contact? An immediate deal-breaker for me. Without a phone contact I can not take the vendor or business seriously.

Paul Cohen

It's there but way hidden at the bottom of the privacy policy.

You need the Contact link right there at the bottom or top of every page.

EDIT: actually it is there right at the top left, but I mkissed that. Ideally there would just be one navigation at the top, in this case there are two navigtaion bars, so easy to miss one of them.

·
Registered
681 Posts
On your Saxophone page, there are a number of instruments that are listed as "EUGENE ROUSSEAU" then the model. So like it says EUGENE ROUSSEAU CONN C MELODY or EUGENE ROUSSEAU SELMER MODEL 22, etc.

Also some of the pictures aren't correct. Like you have a H Couf Superba Tenor listed with pictures of a Selmer Series III. Also your two Series III listings seem to have the same pictures, even though one is supposed to not have any engraving.

You also might need to be more conscious about your use of the terms USED and VINTAGE when beginning your titles. If someone sorts the list by A-Z or Z-A it means it is just going to lump everything with USED or VINTAGE prefixes together. That can be redundant if they are already on the Used tab. You might need to have your programmers set USED or VINTAGE or NEW or whatever as a field prefix that can be added to the beginning of the titles but aren't an actual sortable part of the title.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
On your ligatures page, you have lots of clarinet ligatures, but that's not one of the filter options.

On the home page for the Saxophone Shop, there is a link to a flute page, but it's not there if you're looking from any other saxophone page.

I looked through new tenor mouthpieces and some used ones showed up.

Filtering the mouthpiece page to alto brings up both alto sax and alto clarinet pieces.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great feedback, thank you! The Rousseau horns are ones that we're helping him sell, but we should probably list them differently, rather than start the title with his name. Thank you!!!!!

On your Saxophone page, there are a number of instruments that are listed as "EUGENE ROUSSEAU" then the model. So like it says EUGENE ROUSSEAU CONN C MELODY or EUGENE ROUSSEAU SELMER MODEL 22, etc.

Also some of the pictures aren't correct. Like you have a H Couf Superba Tenor listed with pictures of a Selmer Series III. Also your two Series III listings seem to have the same pictures, even though one is supposed to not have any engraving.

You also might need to be more conscious about your use of the terms USED and VINTAGE when beginning your titles. If someone sorts the list by A-Z or Z-A it means it is just going to lump everything with USED or VINTAGE prefixes together. That can be redundant if they are already on the Used tab. You might need to have your programmers set USED or VINTAGE or NEW or whatever as a field prefix that can be added to the beginning of the titles but aren't an actual sortable part of the title.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the feedback, we'll work on getting this fixed!

On your ligatures page, you have lots of clarinet ligatures, but that's not one of the filter options.

On the home page for the Saxophone Shop, there is a link to a flute page, but it's not there if you're looking from any other saxophone page.

I looked through new tenor mouthpieces and some used ones showed up.

Filtering the mouthpiece page to alto brings up both alto sax and alto clarinet pieces.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
looked up reads.
the pages seem disorganized, though this is true of all the venders.
I always think that reeds should be in some order.
For example, if one clicked on D'addario reeds, there should be an organized progression. The Select jazz from soprano to Bari, then the Reserve soprano to bari, etc... Or one could organize by Soprano reeds, alto reeds, etc...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts