Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just moved to the Tulsa area and am looking for a recommendation on a tech for my son's horn (and ultimately my vintage Buescher's).

Any ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, good start. He only does overhauls and I'm looking for an "everyday" tech. Any one have other ideas?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll check out the site.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There's a guy in Tulsa who's supposed to be pretty good with the last name McGuire. I've seen a few horns that he's set up that were very nicely done.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any idea how to get ahold of "McGuire"?

·
Registered
136 Posts
tophat, I use Bruce Kitzel, formerly with Brook Mays in Norman but now with Edmond Music. Bruce is great, especially with the "everyday tech" you mentioned. He can do overhauls as well, but time can be an issue there. Regular adjustments, minor repairs, etc. are promptly done and done well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
682 Posts
Bruce is excellent and I'd say the majority of pros around here (OKC metro area) go to him. Harry Burgess, who also works at Edmond Music (he is formerly of Anaheim Band) is also very good, and some guys I know prefer his work. I go to Robert Polk in Norman, who runs a shop called Axent Music. I like Robert because 1. He is the only official Keilwerth dealer around and I play Keilwerths, and 2. although I've gotten very good work done on my horns by both guys at Edmond music, my SX90R tenor just sings after Robert worked on it. But I would not hesitate to take my horn to any of them.

Unfortunately the one guy I can't vouch for is Joshua Branin. I have heard mixed reviews to say the least, though I've never dealt with him personally Interesting that the one poster who recommended him has only posted 4 times, all endorsing him, all on the same day, and never logged on to SOTW again...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
682 Posts
Just re-read your initial post. I used to have a Big B alto that both Bruce and Harry worked on, and they both had Buescher pads and are Buescher-friendly techs. So that might be your best lead.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just re-read your initial post. I used to have a Big B alto that both Bruce and Harry worked on, and they both had Buescher pads and are Buescher-friendly techs. So that might be your best lead.
Thanks for your help and for the "sleuthing".

Phil

·
Registered
154 Posts
Any idea how to get ahold of "McGuire"?
I've used McGuire and been very satisfied. They have done two repads/adjustments on my Yamaha YTS 52, the first time I also had them level toneholes. I'm due to get it back to them.

1110 S Yale Ave
Tulsa, OK 74112
(918) 834-2275

Just south of Tally's Diner on Yale.

edit: Oops - forgot I started THIS THREAD while back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts