Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I would like to know if someone has an idea of a European Conservatory or a School with a Bachelor or Master program that will receive an adult of 36 years old.

I am from Mexico and I recently decided to move to Europe to learn Jazz in a professional way since after graduating and working as a lawyer, I want to give a big switch at my life, and become a full time serious musician.

I have been practicing and studying Jazz on my own and had several online and private courses. But I believe that the big change will be achieved after I dedicate full time to study and then, full time making and playing music. Why Europe? My wife is from Spain, and that will make it easier to deal with.

Any suggestions?

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Very, very difficult. All of the state schools I know of have maximum age limits and I believe they are well below 36.

You might check with the Jazz and Rock Schule Freiburg http://www.jrs.org/de/ The last I checked I was ineligible but I'm older than you. Also, this is a private school so some of the requirements are different. Phil Barone's brother, Gary, is an instructor there, BTW.

There used to be a private jazz school in Amsterdam but I'll be darned if I can remember its name. Maybe one of our Dutch members can provide it. Also, I don't know just what quality it is. As I remember, this school was set up to cater to folks with other jobs or commuters and I don't think there was an age limit.

Also, keep your eyes open for a new branch of Berklee College of Music in Spain. I know the fellow who is setting it up and it looks like it's a go. It looks like it's going to be a great school in a killer location. Due to open in 2012. I am assuming, like Berklee in Boston, that there is no age limit as long as you've got the money, which might be substantial. Keep in touch with them: http://www.berklee.edu/valencia/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very, very difficult. All of the state schools I know of have maximum age limits and I believe they are well below 36.

You might check with the Jazz and Rock Schule Freiburg http://www.jrs.org/de/ The last I checked I was ineligible but I'm older than you. Also, this is a private school so some of the requirements are different. Phil Barone's brother, Gary, is an instructor there, BTW.

There used to be a private jazz school in Amsterdam but I'll be darned if I can remember its name. Maybe one of our Dutch members can provide it. Also, I don't know just what quality it is. As I remember, this school was set up to cater to folks with other jobs or commuters and I don't think there was an age limit.

Also, keep your eyes open for a new branch of Berklee College of Music in Spain. I know the fellow who is setting it up and it looks like it's a go. It looks like it's going to be a great school in a killer location. Due to open in 2012. I am assuming, like Berklee in Boston, that there is no age limit as long as you've got the money, which might be substantial. Keep in touch with them: http://www.berklee.edu/valencia/
Do you mean http://www.djam.nl/english/djam.php ? Indeed, there are no comments about it in this forum. But it was also mentioned in another post.

The Berklee/Valencia project seems like a great initiative. I will definitely follow up its progress.

BTW, thanks a lot for your suggestions, they are highly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Not trying to derail the discussion, but this comment has me puzzled. Why would schools impose this limit and why would it be legal to do so?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Check out Trinity College London, whom I believe offer a 4 yr degree course in Jazz performance, including a yr at a European school - not sure about "age " entry requirements !!.

Blowhard2

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
the age limits,are because(unlike the usa) many of these schools are government subsidized,and are geared towards preparing young musicians for a career...closing the pool by restricting age,gives more chances to younger students who(like it or not) are deemed more deserving of the opportunity...(most schools are 27 years old)

for that matter competitions be they amateur or a show like American Idol, have age limits as well

·
27,650 Posts

·
27,650 Posts
the age limits, are because (unlike the usa) many of these schools are government subsidized, and are geared towards preparing young musicians for a career...closing the pool by restricting age, gives more chances to younger students who (like it or not) are deemed more deserving of the opportunity...(most schools are 27 years old) for that matter competitions be they amateur or a show like American Idol, have age limits as well
Absolutely correct. This is a good answer.

The only exception, is for some operatic vocal programs, which have a minimum age because they want the student's body and voice completely matured before they begin study.

Regarding young musicians being more "deserving", I think the context is that the older you are, in principal, the more chances you've already had to hone your skills and to achieve whatever it is you have set out to achieve. In a sense, you've had your chance and now it's time to make room for others. Interestingly, this same philosophy relates to scholarships/financial aid in American schools, such as Berklee.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts