Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot find this chart for sale. If anyone has a lead on it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I've never heard of a Thad Jones tune called "Compensation" and a quick Google search didn't turn up anything.

You might be thinking of "Consummation." The big band version was published at one time by Kendor (they might make a one-off copy of it for you as part of their "Archive" series. Will cost you $75 or more).

The lead alto part to "Consummation" was also part of a book of Thad Jones lead alto parts, also published by Kendor. Don't think that's in print any more, but someone here might have a copy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DukeCity.

This is really a different tune, on the "Soft Lights and Hot Music" album by the Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra. Its a tune written by Kenny Werner (in the Real Book #3). Its a nice chart. Actually, now that I look at the liner notes, it was composed and arranged by Kenny Werner, not Thad. You could have fooled me.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
780 Posts
As well as 'Soft Lights...' there's a live quartet with Lovano/Werner from the eighties where they play it.

Jon Gordon plays it on 'Contrasts' with Bill Charlap.

It's about the most hip tune you can imagine and I've played it with a big band but I think it was just transcribed. I'm afraid I don't know where to get a chart.

Jamie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Compensation was written and arranged by pianist Kenny Werner and was often played by the Mel Lewis Orchestra in the 1990s. I was fortunate enough to study with Werner himself and heard a quartet version with Billy Drewes. Great tune.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts