Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to the Sinta summer camp at U of M this year (I still don't know how I got in...) and I have a modest collection of well-known pieces to bring with.

My question is is there anything I could bring that a high school sophomore usually wouldn't have with him? I have a month to prepare-and all my other pieces require one run-through a day, they'll be more than up to snuff-and I am EXTREMELY confident in my sight-reading ability and my ability to work up a piece in a very short time. I can give examples if I have to =P

What I'm bringing now is the Glazounov, the Ibert, the Creston and Heiden (although I can't stand the accompaniment for the latter), and a (Rascher, I think) transcription of Bach's 6th Sonata (originally flute). I also have half-worked copies of Scaramouche and Bozza's Aria and a few more... I have Bozza's Caprice to I think 1:30, but I think I need accompanied stuff.

Is there anything good I could bring? My private teacher has an extensive collection and can probably meet any requests-especially with a great music university 10 miles away she has ties into.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I think that your repertoire is sufficent for a sophomore in high school.

(BTW, I'd give the Heiden another chance;))

·
Distinguished Member
637 Posts
If you want to bring something that no other sophomore in high school will bring, try bringing a high level of musicality instead of fingers ;)

anyone can wiggle their fingers, my favorite is going up and down the D major scale very fast.

·
Registered
471 Posts
wow Dannel what a coincidence my favourite is the going up and down the F# Major Scale SUPER FAST!!!!

Also, your arsenal of music is sufficient, just play them as well as Nobuya Sugawa and you'll be fine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,596 Posts
Sophomore saxophone student brings in a salvo of classical ammunition and levels entire classrooms full of sax players. Casualties are in the teens. Fear for your children!!

Do you have these pieces memorized and full of dynamics and subtleties?? BACK TO THE SHED!!

:twisted:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Bringing this back to something a little less asinine, your music selection sounds fine. Congratulations on being admitted! You'll learn so much under Mr. Sinta. He's trully one of the greatest masters of our instrument of all time, and one of the greatest musicians of our age. Just bring a sense of adventure, and be open to anything he suggests.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well... thanks for the answers-

ibert:yes, completely memorized, got a 99 all-state on the NY scale and plusses in every interpretation category, I think I'm good
glazounov-not completely but mostly, and I LOOOOVE fooling around with it
creston-first movement is meh (me), second movement is just awesome and I play it pretty well IMO, and the third movement is maybe my favorite piece of all time to play and to listen to
heiden-I like it, just not the accompaniment-it's probably the worst of the four

the sonata was my NYSSMA solo two years ago, I really don't like it that much but I can play it well.

and yeah, d major scales are fun as hell <_<

1 - 9 of 9 Posts