Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Ville Kyllönen and I'm a student from Finland. I'm going to erasmus-exchange to Barcelona for three months, from 7th of September to 23rd of December. If there are some SOTW friends there who would like to meet me, please take contact. It would be fun to get together, practise English by talking about sax and life and go to some jazz gigs. Earlier this summer I was studying in Holland for a couple of weeks and met a great fellow saxist through SOTW. I'm hesitating whether to take my saxophone with me or to rent a one from there, so if you have any hints for what to do I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Cheers

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello,

I arrived to Barcelona today. The weather is nice and warm and the city looks nice with beautiful architecture.

I´m still interested in meeting you SOTW friends here in Barcelona so don't be shy to take contact with me :) I´m here until the end of December.

Cheers!

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
Barcelona

VilleK. said:
I´m still interested in meeting you SOTW friends here in Barcelona so don't be shy to take contact with me :) I´m here until the end of December.

Cheers!
letting to know one's location when registering is not obligatory.
Anyway, we have eight registered members form Barcelona out of which two have been active here today.

Hope that you can make a connection,
-Harri

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, Harri. I'll keep that in my mind from now on.

Yes, I hope I could meet someone.

Cheers

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hobbes said:
Hey Villek ! Welcome to Barcelona ! I hope our city like to you.
Look at that... perhaps is interesting for you...

http://www.sonnyrollins.com/itinerary.php

:)

Hi Hobbes,

Thank you. It´s been great to be here. I was out last night and experiencing the Merce and it was very nice. Seeing those guys with their saxophones just made me feel more bad because I didn´t take my own sax here.

I will certainly be interested in hearing how Sonny is doing. I really haven´t paid that much attention to his newer stuff.

-Ville-

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes the concerts in the Merce, all concerts in the old city... it are really pretty, a lot off people out in the old streets... I was looking some jazz bands and multi racial (I think with cuban metal section)... nice nice

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,526 Posts
Hey VilleK! You surely travel a lot! When in Spain check out Paul Stocker http://www.andaluciajazz.com/musicos/stocker.htm
He is a great sax player who has been living in Amsterdam a long time.
If you see him give him my regards! Enjoy Spain!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, a lot of travelling - it´s the second time I´m abroad, the first time being in Holland.

Thanks for hints, I´ll keep my eyes and ears open while I´m here.

Milandro, I´ll forward your regards if I see him.

And the Merce continues :)

-Ville-

·
Registered
24 Posts
welcome to Barcelona

Hi Ville, and be very welcome in Barcelona,

I’ve just seen your message and read the thread now.
I do not go out for jazz/music sessions too often, but If I could be of any help to you, just send me an email with any question you may have: [email protected].
I may suggest you to visit the JazzSí club at Recasens street. They perform groups there on weekdays form 20:00 to 22:00 (latin, jazz, flamenco, etc.) and, as far as I remember there are also jam sessions. It’s a nice and funny place, the ticket is something like 7 euros and you have a drink included!!
Sorry but I’m not aware if saxes can be rented in Barcelona.
On the other hand, I am now trying to set up an amateur group just for fun. Since I have my family commitments (I am 45), I can not afford to go out to rehearse more than one night a week, but I’m really excited with the project. I’m going to meet some people next week.
I play tenor.
Did you take your mouthpiece with you?
Maybe we could meet…
Have fun!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello albertur,

And thank you. I`ll definitely check that place. I`ve been also informed about the Harlem Jazz Club. And it would be great to see Sonny when he comes here.

Well, I`ll keep on searching if there would be a ny saxes for rent. It would be nice if there were.

When I return back home, I`m also going to gather a new group of amateur players to have some fun.

I forgot my piece at home. But I could ask my family to send it to me.

Cheers

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yes, it would be great to meet too! I think it would be nice to meet SOTW fellows whenever there`s a chance. To see some jazz gig together would be cool! And I`d be interested to practise languages - so far I`ve had a short course of Spanish and today I started to study Catalan.

Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts