Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

There's a lot of good info on buying/selling horns, particularly through Ebay, but I'm hoping to sell a horn without using Ebay so as to avoid the fees. I've never sold anything online, and I couldn't find much existing help on selling outside of Ebay. I'm a little lost on this.

I'm hoping to sell an alto of mine. I see tons of threads where people post a horn, and then a few posts later it has been declared SOLD! Obviously potential buyers will contact the seller probably through PM, but does the buyer just transfer the $$ to the seller's savings account or something? And upon receipt the seller ships the horn? It seems like trust plays too big of a part in this... is there a way for the buyer to be assured that he won't be scammed? I'm wondering because if there's no way for the buyer to be assured, then I don't see how I would be able to sell my horn, also considering I only have like 15 posts on this forum.

I'm just hoping for my sale to go smoothly if I find a buyer. And at this point I'm not sure how it would go down, so any help would be welcomed! Also, I'm thinking of giving my buyer a week (from the date of receipt) to return the horn if it is not satisfactory, less the shipping charges. Would this be suggested or make business with me more appealing?

Thanks!

edit: also, does anyone know an estimate on how much it will cost to ship an alto via UPS domestic?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I would surmise that no two deals are the same. Normally I will offer my phone numbers, email and address early on in any correspondence to promote trust. If I have built enough trust with the person (through phone conversations and email) I will offer my side of the transaction. I have sent mouthpieces away before without any insurance and only the assurance and instinct I have that they will make good on their side. I have also withheld my side of the transaction until their side has arrived at my doorstep. It's really going to vary on a case by case basis. I am still waiting for a mouthpiece I made a deal on a month ago, but I was astute enough to withhold my side until their piece got to me. I've never done that before, normally I just ship it upon coming to an agreement, but this time I am glad I hesitated. Correspond with the other person and get a feel with who you're dealing with and make your decisions accordingly.

As far as being a purchasing party, I always use a personal check from a National Bank (cashable anywhere, no wait time to clear). I don't do PayPal and I try to avoid Ebay if I can. I believe business is best and most efficiently conducted between the two individuals.

Just be reachable, honest, forthright, and trustworthy. Put a fair price on your sax and someone on SOTW will buy it. You won't get eBay Retail for it here, but you won't deal with the eBay/PayPal headache here either.

Good luck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
You can set it up how you want - just make sure you describe it clearly in the ad, such as where it ships from, how much shipping is, what forms of payment you accept, return policy, etc., so there are no crossed expectations. Look at the posts by regular sellers.

I have bought one horn and sold two horns (and some mouthpieces) through here with no problems. I used PayPal for payment, and for the ones I sold, I had the buyer pay the actual cost of shipping. (I got an estimated amount first, they the buyer paid that, and I adjusted it after shipping.) One of the ones I sold went to Hong Kong.

As hgiles says, try to get a feeling for your counterparty through contact with them. Look at other posts both by them and about them. Yes, some folks may be more reluctant to deal with you because you are new here. Also, the market for specific horns can shift. I had a horn for sale here and got no nibbles; I reposted it a few months later and had multiple people seriously asking about it.

Other folks on here will know better the cost of shipping an alto, but once you have it packed up and have the weight and dimensions, you can go to the USPS or FedEx websites to get the shipping cost.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,023 Posts
I agree with hgiles. I've only sold a few things on SOTW, but it comes down to communicating enough so you develop a sense of trust. You can start by PMing here but then switch to email and even phone if there are not big charges involved. I've used Paypal and also accepted a check but waited until I received the check and deposited it before shipping the item to the purchaser. I'm not trying to make money, just selling a few items that I don't use any more so I agree that if you price reasonably and communicate with the purchaser, it should work out well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts