Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m looking for some old rubber Bari pieces such as the Geo M Bundy pieces from the 60’s-70’s.
Particularly the slimmer profiled ones.
I believe the same blank may have been used for a few branded pieces.
Such as Martin etc.
Also interested in the older rubber Wagner baritone pieces.
Tip opening isn’t too important as these are to be pieces I will modify.
Therefore also need to be reasonably priced.
No plastic pieces thanks.
Here’s an example of the type of pieces I’d prefer.
View attachment 201034

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Babbitt made I think. I had several marked Conn, Umi, or just blank stock mouthpieces. They can be opened up with a short straight baffle made as part of the job. I have seen several Lamberson SBs made from this blank.

·
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mojo.
I have an old Gary Sugal Rubber piece which also seems to have been made from the same blank.
Very nice player it is too.

·
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still looking for one or two of these pieces.
They may be stamped as Geo m Bundy, Martin or UMI.
Or they may also be unbranded as Mojo mentioned.
Also looking for old Wagner or Keilwerth branded Hard Rubber Baritone pieces.
Minor tip damage would be OK but nothing too crappy.
Look forward to hearing from you.

·
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mojo.
I only saw one on eBay and there was a second that looked similar but I think it was a Jewel mouthpiece.
I’ll look again though as my setting may have been limited.

·
2,767 Posts
Babbitt made I think. I had several marked Conn, Umi, or just blank stock mouthpieces. They can be opened up with a short straight baffle made as part of the job. I have seen several Lamberson SBs made from this blank.
Fred Lamberson machines his mouthpieces from rod rubber as far as I know. I've seen his setup in person, so I'm a bit confused by you saying he's making mouthpieces from a Babbitt blank, at least of his current models.

Have you heard from him that he is using a Babbitt blank?

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
I think at least early on Fred used some Bari sax blanks. I had one in my hand that looked like a Babbitt product.

The SAT MPs I have seen all look machined from stock.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Glad you found your blanks! I have an old rubber Kouf once redone and it's a pretty outstanding piece. Old rubber RULES.

·
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad you found your blanks! I have an old rubber Kouf once redone and it's a pretty outstanding piece. Old rubber RULES.
Yes.
They can become nice pieces with a little work.
I have a few now but could always take another couple if priced well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
You probably don’t need it anymore but I decided to sell my Wagner for baritone (it came with a Keilwerth) with original ligature and cap. It says 4 on the shank and has no other writings (as it often happened with wagner pieces) and it is very clean and a good player. I have the same mouthpiece branded Hammerschmidt (Wagner made may “ stencils” for other German brands ) that one says 3 on the shank.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm glad Milandro offered up his Wagner because you'd have to pry mine from my cold dead hands. (Just kidding. maybe). It was impossible finding one but well worth it. It has a tone you just can't beat. It's in the rotation with my Paladino, Ralph Morgan Bundy 3 and a super nice Couf Artist 5*R. I also have a King 4 and a a very clean Conn Precision 3 that are also sweet players. The King in particular is easy to push loud with a deep full bodied sound.
I don't even play my Berg or Link Tone Edge. They just don't do it for me at all. For me, there's nothing like an older hard rubber piece. Nothing fancy. Just great sound and great playability from my Mark VI.
FWIW - I just picked up an old HR Bundy 1 cheap with an idea to send it out to Eachen Landreth to be opened up a bit. One playing convinced me to leave it alone (at least for now) The 1 meant nothing. It just plain PLAYED.
BTW I'd love to hear what you've done with your blanks when you're finished. It may give me some ideas.

·
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m still interested in finding a couple more of these blanks.
They can be branded Conn, Keilwerth, King, Geo M Bundy, Sumner Acousticut, and even the old rubber Brilhart Personaline pieces.
Not interested in the newer plastic blanks which look similar such as Bari Esprit and Selmer etc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
I may have an old Geo Bundy 3, but shipping to Australia from Texas might be costly. I know exactly what you're talking about. Slim body, step baffle, hard rubber, not bad playing but most are very close tip.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
My mouthpieces arrived after a long wait in Australia, I hope that B flat will be enjoying them, they are very special pieces and mine were complete of their original ligatures and caps which is a nice touch.

Enjoy!

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,899 Posts
I have a Conn Precision #2. I can't imagine that it's worth the shipping to Australia but you can have it. Looks just like the picture you posted.

It looks like it has been played, but there are just very minor nicks on the facing. The baffle right at the tip is uneven rail to rail, and I don't know if someone filed on it or that's normal for these.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts